STANFORD, Calif. – The third-ranked Duke women’s tennis team ended its season on Sunday with 4-2 loss to sixth-ranked UCLA in the NCAA Quarterfinals.
The Blue Devils concluded the year with a 25-5 overall record. It was the third straight season Duke advanced to the quarterfinals in the NCAA Tournament.
Duke started down 1-0 after dropping the doubles point for the second straight match in the tournament. UCLA picked up the first win in doubles on court two with an 8-0 win, while courts one and three fought to claim the doubles point. The No. 90 duo of Mary Clayton and Monica Gorny traded games throughout the match with Maya Johansson and Pamela Montez. The Bruins eventually broke Clayton and Gorny to take the lead and then went on to win the match by a score of 8-5, to take an early lead.
For the second match in row, Duke started singles strong as Rachel Kahan quickly evened the score at 1-1. Kahan picked up the win on court five by a score of 6-4, 6-4, to end her freshman campaign undefeated in dual matches at 28-0.
With the score tied at 1-1, the Bruins went ahead 2-1 after McCall Jones defeated Nadine Fahoum in three sets. UCLA picked up another point with a straight set win on court four to extend its lead to 3-1.
With three matches remaining courts two, three and six, Duke tried to mount another comeback as Clayton cut the deficit to one with a three set win on court six 6-0, 6-7(4), 6-3. The Blue Devils comeback was stopped short after Noelle Hickey clinched the match for UCLA on court two in a third set victory.
Reka Zsilinszka, Ellah Nze and Nadine Fahoum will still be competing in the NCAA singles and doubles championships beginning on May 25.
Tennis Match Results
#6 UCLA 4, #3 DUKE 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 3)
1) No. 52 Kahan/Nse (DUKE) vs. No. 23 Dolehide/Remynse (UCLA) 4-4, unfinished
2) No. 24 Hickey/Jones (UCLA) d. No. 55 Fahoum/Mar (DUKE) 8-0
3) Johansson/Montez (UCLA) d. No. 90 Clayton/Gorny (DUKE) 8-5
Singles (Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 6, 2)
1) No. 57 McCall Jones (UCLA) d. No. 39 Nadine Fahoum (DUKE) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 41 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) d. No. 106 Ellah Nze (DUKE) 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-2
3) No. 20 Reka Zsilinszka (DUKE) vs. No. 76 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 4-6, 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
4) No. 97 Pamela Montez (UCLA) d. No. 72 Elizabeth Plotkin (DUKE) 7-5, 6-4
5) No. 89 Rachel Kahan (DUKE) d. No. 77 Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
6) No. 83 Mary Clayton (DUKE) d. Maya Johansson (UCLA) 6-0, 6-7 (4), 6-3