Sunday, Oct. 21 • 2:00 PM • Blue Devil Network
Durham, N.C. • Koskinen Stadium
Blue Devils Close Regular Season Sunday Against Francis Marion...
The sixth-ranked Duke women’s soccer team (11-4-2, 5-3-2 ACC) will close the 2012 regular season on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 2:00 p.m., against Francis Marion (6-8-1) at Koskinen Stadium. The match will be aired live on the Blue Devil Network with John Roth calling the action.
Following the match on Sunday against the Patriots, the Blue Devils will be off until Sunday, Oct. 28, when the ACC Tournament will get started at host sites.
In the ACC Standings...
Duke currently ranks third in the ACC with a 5-3-2 overall record, which is 17 points. Florida State owns a conference-best 21 points and Maryland is second (19). Duke is third (17), while North Carolina and Wake Forest are tied for fourth (16). Duke received a double-bye to close the season and will have to wait until Thursday, Oct. 25 to find out its seeding in the ACC Tournament. Most of the other ACC teams have one or two league contests remaining.
The Series With Francis Marion...
Duke and Francis Marion will face each other for just the second time in school history. The Blue Devils registered a 9-0 victory over the Patriots on Sept. 2, 2010 at Koskinen Stadium. In the match, Mollie Pathman and Kaitlyn Kerr tallied two goals each, while five other Blue Devils notched goals.
A Look at Francis Marion...
Francis Marion enters Sunday with a 6-8-1 overall record. The Patriots have been led by Yasmin Bunter and Elizabeth Asare with six goals each on the year. The only common opponent for the Blue Devils and Francis Marion is Maryland. The Patriots dropped a 5-1 decision to the Terrapins on Oct. 3.
Campbell Named Finalist of Senior CLASS Award...
Tara Campbell has been named one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award, which is presented to a senior student-athlete and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – community, classroom, character and competition.
Fans can go online at www.seniorclassaward.com to vote once per day for Campbell through Nov. 19.
Campbell, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, is one of the top goalkeepers in the nation owning 30 shutouts and 0.90 goals against average over her career. The 5-8 Campbell is only four shutouts away from the Duke career record of 34 held by Melissa Carr and is currently second all-time in goals-against average.
Senior Players Honored Versus UNC...
Prior to the North Carolina contest on Thursday, five Duke seniors along with two redshirt juniors were honored on senior night. Seniors Tara Campbell, Maddy Haller, Libby Jandl, Erin Koballa and Nicole Lipp, while redshirt juniors Kim DeCesare and Callie Simpkins were presented with flowers and started the match.
Blue Devils Shutout by Tar Heels...
For the third time this season, Duke was shutout in the last match against North Carolina. It also marked the third time the Blue Devils have been shutout against an ACC team this season -- Virginia, Florida State. Duke attempted a season-low one shot in the first half and season-low seven shots for the match.
Weinberg Keeps Scoring Goals...
Junior Laura Weinberg has scored goals in nine out of the last 13 contests and has been held scoreless in only six matches this year. She now owns 15 goals on the season, which is a new career high for the junior.
The 15 goals on the year ranks tied for third on Duke’s single-season goals list. The most goals in a season was 18 in 1994 by Duke’s all-time leading scorer Kelly Walbert. Her 36 points this season ranks third on Duke’s single-season charts as well.
Weinberg leads the ACC in goals (15), goals per game (0.88) and shots (74), while ranking fourth nationally in goals, fourth in points, sixth in goals per game and sixth in points per game (2.25).
• Tara Campbell has posted 50 career wins in goal for the Blue Devils.
• Cassie Pecht’s nine assists on the season is tied for the most by a freshman in the nation along with Taylor Uhl (Minnesota) and Sarah Zadrazil (East Tenn. St.).
• In the 11 victories this season, Duke has averaged 3.91 goals a contest.
• Natasha Anasi has logged a team-high 1,517 minutes on the season.
• Laura Weinberg owns a team-best 17 career goals against ACC opponents. The next closest is Mollie Pathman (9) and Kim DeCesare (9).
• Blue Devil goalkeeper Tara Campbell registered her fourth career assist at N.C. State.
• After scoring five goals the first seven matches, Doria has been held scoreless the last 10 contests.
• Gilda Doria (8) and Cassie Pecht (9) have combined for 17 assists on the season for the Blue Devils.
• Laura Weinberg registered the game-winning goal in three of Duke’s five ACC wins.
• The Blue Devils are 10-0 this season when posting three or more goals.
• Duke has scored 22 first half goals this season, but the Blue Devils have been held scoreless in the opening frame in five out of the last eight contests.
• Kim DeCesare leads Duke with three header goals on the year, while Kaitlyn Kerr and Katie Trees each have two. As a team, the Blue Devils have nine on the year.
• In four overtime matches this year, Duke owns a 2-1-2 record, while Laura Weinberg has notched two golden goals against Miami and Virginia Tech.
• The Blue Devils currently own a 4-4-2 overall record this season against ranked opponents.
• The Blue Devils are averaging 19.1 shots a match and have taken 325 in 17 contests.
• Mollie Pathman has notched three assists in nine matches since returning from the U-20 World Cup.
• Duke has been ranked in the top 10 nationally for 22 straight weeks going back to last year. It is the longest streak in school history.
• The Blue Devils have posted double-digit shots on goal in five matches this season -- Elon (17), San Diego (14), Clemson (14), Miami (11) and N.C. State (10).
• Dating back to last season, seven of the eight Blue Devil losses have been by one goal.
• All five of Duke’s defenders who have started has registered at least one assist on the year.
• Duke allowed a total of 13 goals a season ago, but has already let in 21 goals in 2012. Of the 21 goals, two have been own goals this season.
• The Blue Devils have outscored opponents, 22-8, in the first half this season.
• Eight different players have scored goals on the season.
• The Blue Devils have outshot their opponents, 147-67, in the first half this season.
• All 11 starters and 90.9 percent of scoring return in 2012 for the Blue Devils.
Duke in the NCAA Stats...
In the NCAA stats, the Blue Devils currently feature two in the top 19 of points per game -- Laura Weinberg (6th, 2.25) and Kim DeCesare (19th, 1.87). In goals per game, Weinberg (6th, 0.938) and DeCesare (23rd, 0.733) are ranked. Cassie Pecht is 14th (0.56) and Gilda Doria is 27th in assists (0.50). In total points, Weinberg is fourth (36) and DeCesare is 20th (28). Weinberg also ranks fourth with 15 goals, while DeCesare is 21st with 11. Pecht is eighth with nine assists.
As a team, Duke ranks third in the nation with a 3.14 goals per game average. (rankings are prior to the UNC match)
Top Scoring Combinations...
The Blue Devil duo of Laura Weinberg and Kim DeCesare have combined to score 26 goals so far this season, which is only one away from matching the Duke single-season record for scoring combinations. The tandem is also the highest scoring duo in the nation.
Duke’s Highest Scoring Duos
27 – KayAnne Gummersall (15) & Elisabeth Redmond (12) in 2008
26 – Laura Weinberg (15) & Kim DeCesare (11) in 2012
26 – Kelly Walbert (18) & Andi Melde (8) in 1994
25 – Casey McCluskey (16) & Carolyn Riggs (9) in 2004
22 - Kelly Cobb (11) & Kaitlyn Kerr (11) in 2011
22 – Sherrill Kester (14) & Kasey Truman (8) in 1999