DURHAM, N.C. -- The 2014 Duke Football season is a week away and we want all fans to be prepared for game day. Check out below the parking, traffic, stadium, and rules changes that are new on Duke Football Game Day in 2014! For more in-depth information, fans should visit www.goduke.com/gameday and click on Football under the A-Z guide section in the middle of the page to reach the 2014 Football A-Z Game Day Guide.
For up-to-the-minute updates on parking, traffic, and stadium information on football game days, please follow Duke Game Operations on Twitter (@Duke_GAMEDAY).
North Carolina Game on Thursday, November 20, 2014 – This season, Duke hosts a Thursday night primetime home game against North Carolina. Due to the impact of the game on daily campus operations, specific information regarding parking and traffic operations and game day events will be announced closer to game day. Please check www.goduke.com/gameday for updates.
Zero Waste at Wallace Wade – Duke Athletics aims to become the first school in the ACC to achieve zero waste football game days. By separating recyclables and compostable items from trash and diverting these items from landfills, we can all help reduce the negative impacts of game day on our environment.
• Parking Lot Bag Stations – Trash, Recycling, and Compost Bags will be distributed free of charge in the parking lots at bag stations and by lot staff. Separate recyclables and compostable items from trash during your pre-game festivities and simply leave the bags in your parking spot for Duke Sanitation & Recycling teams to pick-up.
• Zero Waste Stations – are located in Blue Devil Alley, throughout the Wallace Wade Stadium concourse and outside the North, East, and West Gates. Separate containers for recyclables, compostable items, and trash are located at each station. Information will be posted at each station and concessions stands to help fans with what items should be placed in each container.
Parking and Traffic Updates for 2014 – Please review the following parking and traffic notes to help plan your trip to Wallace Wade Stadium on game day.
• Charcoal Disposal Bins – Please properly extinguish and safely dispose of charcoal and other flammables in the marked charcoal disposal bins located throughout the parking lots. Please do not throw charcoal or other flammables away with trash or leave these items in the parking lots.
• Bus Parking – is now located in the Small Circuit Lot off of Circuit Drive. The Bus Drop-off/Pick-up point remains at the roundabout on Towerview Road. To access the drop-off point pre-game, buses should access campus at the intersection of Towerview Road and Duke University Road. Buses wishing to pick-up guest at this point post-game must stage in the same location no later than the beginning of the 4th quarter. Parking and traffic staffing will be on-hand to assist buses in getting to/from the drop-off point.
• General Public Parking Improvements - The Jogging Trail Lot on NC-751/Cameron Blvd. is now a formal gravel parking area and has been expanded to double its former capacity.
• University Construction Projects – Multiple construction projects on campus and around
Wallace Wade Stadium will be ongoing during the 2014 football season. Those parking in the RV/OV & Bus Lot (Small Circuit Lot) will note a continued decrease in available space due to pond construction. The number of available spaces in the Whitford Lot has been permanently reduced due to track & field stadium construction.
• I-40/I-440 Road Closures – The complete rebuild of the I-40/I-440 area of South Raleigh continues and travel lanes remain closed for months at a time. For lane closures, alternate routes and additional project information from the NCDOT, please refer to www.ncdot.gov/projects/I40-440Rebuild.
• Updated Pre-Game Parking and Traffic Map – An updated pre-game parking and traffic map is now available in the Football A-Z Guide on www.goduke.com/gameday.
Stadium Updates – Fans will notice our continued efforts to improve stadium operations and the fan experience for football game days in 2014. Please review the following items below.
• Text Message Assistance – All fans can continue to text in any game day problems, issues or needs to the Game Operations Command Center. On game day, text “DUKE (space) ” to 69050 and the message will be received by the Command Center. Security, maintenance, or housekeeping will be dispatched to rectify the problem or issue. Please note that standard data and messaging rates may apply.
• Club Blue Devil – Join all of your fellow Duke Football fans at Club Blue Devil in Wallace Wade Stadium to kick off your pre-game festivities each Saturday home game this Duke Football season. You, your family and friends need to check out our newest addition to the Duke football tailgating experience, Club Blue Devil. This premier pre-game tailgate features flat screen TVs showcasing the best games in college football, cookout food buffet, Coca-Cola products for $15 with wine and beer options also available at $30. Club Blue Devil is available starting two and half hours prior to kickoff directly inside the north gates of Wallace Wade Stadium, placing you just steps away from your Blue Devil seats.
• Seating Upgrades – New permanent chairbacks have been installed in Sections 3 Even – 10 Odd. IMG College Seating is proud to introduce the Blue Devil MVP Seat rental for these new “fold down” style seats for both the season and single games. For more information on the MVP Seat and Stadium Seat rentals, please visit www.dukeseats.com.
• Face Painters – New this year, airbrush face painters have been added to Blue Devil Alley and inside Wallace Wade Stadium on the concourse near the North Gate. The airbrush artists will have three (3) different designs for fans to choose from, free of charge.
• Giant Blue Devil Corn Hole – Be on the lookout for the all new, giant inflatable corn hole game in Blue Devil Alley. This game will truly put an extreme twist on this tailgating classic.
• Concessions – Blue Devil Concessions is pleased to be offering new vendors and many new items to Duke Football fans in 2014. Click here for a helpful guide to Blue Devil Concessions locations and offerings at Wallace Wade Stadium this season.
• Family Restroom and Lactation Room - A Family Restroom and Lactation Room are available on the 1st floor of the Finch Yeager Building just inside the West Gate. Please see a staff member at the building’s main entrance for assistance.
• Updated Stadium Map – An updated stadium map is now available in the Football A-Z Guide on www.goduke.com/gameday.
Updated Information for Persons with Disabilities – For our fans with disabilities, please take a moment to review the information below to help make your game day experience as enjoyable as possible.
• Contact Information - Prior to game day, please feel free to reach out to our disabilities coordinators at 919-668-6213 to help make arrangements for your visit or if you have any special needs, questions, or concerns regarding our accessibility and accommodations.
• General Public Parking for Persons with Disabilities - is available in the Blue Zone lots off of Wannamaker Drive in lots B-2, B-4, and B-7. Wannamaker Drive can be accessed via the Blue Zone Iron Gate on Duke University Road. An accessible drop-off and pick-up point for persons with disabilities is available in the Blue Zone just outside the East Gate of Wallace Wade Stadium.
• Iron Duke Parking for Persons with Disabilities - is available off of Bassett Drive just outside the West Gate and in the Blue Zone lots on Wannamaker Drive just outside the East Gate. Iron Dukes that need accessible parking should contact the Iron Duke Office at 919-613-7575 prior to game day. Accessible drop-off and pick-up points for persons with disabilities are available on Bassett Drive across from the lot just outside the West Gate and off of Wannamaker Drive just outside the East Gate.
• Accessible Lift-Equipped Van - An accessible lift-equipped van will be available as needed for guests needing wheelchair lift assistance. Please notify a parking lot attendant upon arrival to request van service or call the Operational Command Center at 919.668.5777.
• Wheelchair Assistance - Guests who need wheelchair assistance to their seating sections should visit the Guest Services Gazebos located on the concourse just inside the North, East, and West Gates of Wallace Wade Stadium.
• Seating for Persons with Disabilities - is available around the stadium at the top of the seating bowl behind the following sections: 1, 2, 3, 4, 20, 21, 22, 29, and 30.
• Accessible Restrooms for Persons with Disabilities – Accessible Men’s Restrooms are located on the concourse behind Sections 1, 22, and 32. Accessible Women’s Restrooms are located on the concourse behind Sections 2, 21, and 31. Prior to the Wallace Wade Stadium gates opening, please use the accessible portable restrooms that are located just outside the North, East, and West Gates and in the parking lots. For portable restroom locations around campus, please see the portable restroom map located in the Football A-Z guide available on www.goduke.com/gameday.
• Family Restroom and Lactation Room – are available on the 1st floor of the Finch Yeager Press Box located just inside the West Gate. Please see a staff member at the building’s main entrance for assistance.
• Emergency or Severe Weather Evacuation Procedures - If an emergency or severe weather evacuation were activated, stadium event staff and ushers will be available to assist persons with disabilities who request assistance in exiting the stadium or seeking safe shelter.
Important NCAA Football Rule Changes for 2014 – The following rule changes were approved by the NCAA for the 2014 football season.
• REMOVAL OF THE YARDAGE PENALTY UPON OVERTURN OF A PLAYER DISQUALIFICATION FOR TARGETING FOULS
When the Instant Replay Official reverses a player disqualification for targeting and the targeting foul is not accompanied by another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for targeting is not enforced.
• ROUGHING THE PASSER – LOW HITS ON QUARTERBACKS
When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground, no defensive player rushing unabated may hit him at or below the knees. It is not a foul if the offensive player is a runner inside or outside the table box, if the defender grabs or wraps the offensive player in an attempt to make a conventional tackle, or if the defender is blocked or fouled into the offensive player.