No. 1 Duke (15-0, 2-0) vs. No. 20 N.C. State (13-2, 2-0 ACC)
Saturday, January 12, 2013 • 12:03 p.m. • ESPN
Raleigh, N.C. • PNC Arena (19,722)
ESPN Play-by-Play: Dan Shulman Analyst: Dick Vitale Sideline: Jeannine Edwards
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network Play-by-Play: Bob Harris Analyst: John Roth
Sirius/XM - 91
Dial Global Sports Play-by-Play: Tom McCarthy Analyst: Bill Frieder
The Opening Tip
• Duke is 15-0 on the year and looking to open the season with 16 straight wins for the fourth time under Mike Krzyzewski.
• The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the past 16 seasons.
• Duke has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll 126 weeks overall, including 108 weeks under Coach K.
• Duke is 213-31 all-time when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll. The Blue Devils are 8-1 all-time against N.C. State when ranked No. 1.
• Krzyzewski is second in NCAA history with 189 wins and 215 games at the helm of the top-ranked team in the AP Poll.
• Against top-25 teams this season, Duke is 3-0 with wins over No. 2 Louisville, No. 3 Kentucky and No. 4 Ohio State.
• Saturday’s game against N.C. State will be Duke’s first true road game of the season. Duke has played six games at neutral sites.
The Last Time Out
• Duke won its sixth straight game as the nation’s No. 1 team, taking down Clemson, 68-40, on Tuesday.
• Quinn Cook scored a career-high 27 points to go with five rebounds, five assists and four steals, marking the third time in school history that a Duke player notched at least 25 points, five rebounds, five assists and four steals in a game (Grant Hill & Danny Ferry). Cook was 12-of-16 from the field with three 3-pointers.
• Duke held Clemson to 10 points in the first half to tie for the second lowest opponent scoring total in a half under Coach K.
• Seth Curry scored his 1,000th career point, becoming the 62nd Duke player to do so.
• After shooting just 29.0 percent (9-of-31) in the first half, Duke bounced back to shoot 72.0 percent (18-of-25) in the second half.
• Ryan Kelly had 12 points and six rebounds before suffering an injury late in the first half.
• Duke, ranked No. 1 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 103 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
• Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (215 entering Saturday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
• Duke is playing its 192nd straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 161-30 in that span.
• Under Coach K, Duke is 400-161 against teams currently in the ACC.
• Against Clemson on Tuesday, Seth Curry became the 62nd player in school history to score 1,000 career points in a Duke uniform. He is the second player this season to join Duke’s 1,000-point club, following Mason Plumlee who scored his 1,000th point on Dec. 29.
• As a team, Duke is shooting 50.6 percent (42-of-83) from three-point range over the last five games. Ryan Kelly, who is sidelined indefinitely with a right foot injury, is 14-of-19 (.737) from three-point range during that span.
• Kelly was named ACC Player of the Week on Monday, becoming the fourth Duke player to earn that recognition this season. It is only the third time in ACC history that four different players from the same team have been named player of the week.
• On the season, Duke is shooting 42.7 percent (117-of-274) from three-point range which would rank as the second-highest three-point shooting percentage in school history. Duke has shot over 40.0 percent from three just three times in school history (1982-83, 1986-87, 1991-92).
• Quinn Cook is averaging 11.4 points and 6.1 assists per game this season. Dick Groat (1952), Bobby Hurley (1991, 1992), Jason Williams (2000, 2001) and Chris Duhon (2004) are the only other players in Duke history to average at least 10.0 points and 6.0 assists per game.
• Duke has held four of its last eight opponents to just one double-figure scorer. The Blue Devils have had 59 double-figure scorers this season, compared to just 33 by their opponents.
• Duke opponents are averaging just 8.3 assists per game, which ranks as the third-lowest opponent average in the nation. Duke has held 10 opponents to fewer than 10 assists.
Duke-N.C. State Series History
• Duke leads the all-time series 139-97, including a 66-56 mark away from Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• The N.C. State series is the most played in Duke basketball history with a total of 236 meetings.
• Duke is 47-20 against N.C. State under Coach K.
• Duke has won the last three meetings in the series and 26 of the last 29 contests overall.
• Duke is 7-3 all-time in PNC Arena, but Duke’s last six losses to N.C. State have all come on the road or at neutral sites.
Duke vs. the Atlantic Coast Conference
• Duke is 899-489 all-time in the regular season against teams currently in the ACC (includes games when those teams were not members of the ACC).
• Under Mike Krzyzewski, Duke is 337-140 against the ACC in the regular season and 53-18 in the ACC Tournament. Krzyzewski ranks second in ACC history with 390 career league wins.
• Duke has domianted the ACC regular season since 1997, logging a 193-49 record during that span which is 35 more wins than the next closest school.