DURHAM, N.C. - The Duke baseball team will play host to Bucknell this weekend in a three-game series at Jack Coombs Field. The Blue Devils (1-2) and the Bison (0-3) will meet Friday, Feb. 22 at 3 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 23 at 1 p.m., and Sunday, Feb. 24 at 12 p.m.
Where to Watch
In addition to Live Stats via GoDuke.com, the Blue Devil Network will provide an audio broadcast of all three games this weekend free of charge. The Blue Devil Network will also stream video of Friday and Saturday's games available to Inside Access subscribers. Fans can also follow the action via Twitter (@Duke_BASE).
By the Numbers
- Duke heads into the second weekend of the season with a 1-2 overall record.
- Head coach Chris Pollard begins his first season at Duke. Pollard has a 386-320-3 career record in his 14th season as a head coach: Duke (present), Appalachian State (2005-12) and Pfeiffer University (2000-04).
- Of the 12 pitchers Duke sent to the mound against Florida, eight were either freshmen or sophomores.
- Junior catcher Mike Rosenfeld ranks among the top 10 in the ACC in batting average (.455) and slugging percentage (.818) in 2013. Rosenfeld is a career .300 hitter at Duke.
- Of the 27 non-pitching starts available against Florida, Duke's junior class accounted for 18 (67 percent). Juniors Mike Rosenfeld, Angelo La Bruna, Jordan Betts, Anthony D'Alessandro and Chris Marconcini started all three games for the Blue Devils.
- Junior third baseman Jordan Betts has started all 114 games in his career. Betts has started 112 games at third base and two at shortstop.
- Senior Jeff Kremer earned his first three career starts in right field over the weekend. Prior to 2013, Kremer had started 107 career games: 76 at designated hitter, 26 at catcher and two at first base.
- Duke's three, four and five hitters - Mike Rosenfeld, Chris Marconcini and Jordan Betts - went a combined 10-for-31 at the plate against Florida. The trio teamed up for a .322 batting average as well as four doubles, two home runs and seven of the Blue Devils' nine RBI.
Last Time Out
Duke began the season with a three-game series in Gainesville against No. 13 Florida. The Blue Devils bested the Gators Friday evening to win the series opener, 4-3. Junior Jordan Betts hit a two-run homer in the fourth to give Duke a 2-1 lead and sophomore LHP Trent Swart went 6.0 innings, giving up just four hits while striking out four. Florida would go on to win the last two games of the series as the Gators topped Duke, 4-2, Saturday and, 16-5, Sunday.
Bucknell Series History
The Duke/Bucknell series dates back to March 1971 as the two teams split a two-game series in their only meeting in program history.
Duke vs. the Patriot League
The Blue Devils are 55-28 all-time against teams currently in the Patriot League: American (0-0), Army (6-1), Bucknell (1-1), Colgate (2-1), Holy Cross (3-0), Lafayette (17-10), Lehigh (3-2) and Navy (23-13). Friday's game marks Duke's first against a Patriot League opponent since the Blue Devils swept a three-game series against Holy Cross February of 2007 in Durham, N.C.
Duke is 54-20-1 all-time in home openers since 1936. Since 2003, the Blue Devils have posted an 8-2 record in their first home game of season. In 2012, Duke opened the its home slate with a 10-4 loss against Campbell.
Rosenfeld Off to Hot Start
After leading Duke with a .312 average a season ago, junior catcher Mike Rosenfeld picked up right where he left off as the Mamaroneck, N.Y., native posted a team-best .455 batting average in the weekend series at Florida. Rosenfeld went 5-for-11 at the plate, including a 3-for-5 outing in Duke's season-opening win Friday. He totaled two doubles, a triple, three runs scored, an RBI and two walks for the weekend. Rosenfeld currently ranks 10th in the ACC in batting average and seventh in slugging percentage (.818). He is one of just eight conference hitters with a slugging percentage over .800 heading into the second week of the season.
Blue Devils Welcome Seven Newcomers for 2013
Duke added seven newcomers to the program for the 2013 season, six from the high school ranks and one transfer.
Name l Pos l B/T l Ht l Wt l Hometown (Previous School)
Jake Cosart l RHP/OF l R/R l 6-2 l 170 l League City, Texas (Clear Creek)
Nick Hendrix l LHP l R/L l 6-1 l 175 l Arlington, Texas (Martin)
Kenny Koplove l RHP/INF l R/R l 6-1 l 160 l Philadelphia, Pa. (William Penn Charter)
James Marvel l RHP/INF l R/R l 6-3 l 195 l Moraga, Calif. (Campolindo)
Michael Matuella l RHP l R/R l 6-6 l 220 l Great Falls, Va. (Georgetown Prep)
Jalen Phillips l INF/OF l L/L l 6-2 l 185 l Ocoee, Fla. (Dr. Phillips)
Conner Stevens * l RHP l R/R l 6-2 l 190 l Raleigh, N.C. (Tennessee)
*Will not play in 2013 due to NCAA transfer rules
Munger & Rosenfeld Named Team Captains
Following a team vote, senior catcher/right-hander Ryan Munger and junior catcher Mike Rosenfeld will serve as team captains for the 2013 season. A native of The Woodlands, Texas, Munger caught 63 games over his first three seasons and has also seen time at first base. Rosenfeld emerged as one of the top catchers in the ACC last season, leading the Blue Devils in batting average (.312), hits (53) and stolen bases (7) while ranking second on the team in slugging percentage (.459) and RBI (31).
Blue Devils Sign Six to Class of 2017
The Duke baseball program signed six high school seniors to National Letters of Intent during the fall signing period. The Class of 2017 includes right-handed pitchers Karl Blum (Toms River, N.J.), J.R. Holloway (Austin, Texas) and Bailey Clark (Asheville, N.C.), left-handed pitchers Kevin Lewallyn (Stevenson Ranch, Calif.) and James Ziemba (Hillsborough, N.J.) and catcher Cristian Perez (Miami, Fla.). The group will arrive in Durham next fall and take the field for Duke in the spring of 2014.
Name l Pos l Ht l Wt l Hometown (Previous School)
Karl Blum l RHP l 6-4 l 205 l Toms River, N.J. (Toms River North)
Bailey Clark l RHP l 6-4 l 200 l Asheville, N.C. (Asheville Christian Academy)
J.R. Holloway l RHP l 6-4 l 215 l Austin, Texas (Westwood)
Kevin Lewallyn l LHP l 6-0 l 170 l Stevenson Ranch, Calif. (Chaminade)
Cristian Perez l C l 6-4 l 220 l Miami, Fla. (Christopher Columbus)
James Ziemba l LHP l 6-10 l 225 l Hillsborough, N.J. (St. Joseph)
Duke travels to North Carolina A&T for its first midweek game of the season Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 3 p.m. The Blue Devils then host Campbell Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 3 p.m., at Jack Coombs Field before welcoming Towson for a three-game series Friday, Saturday and Sunday Mar. 1, 2 and 3 at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.