Duke (17-13, 7-5 ACC) at Georgia Tech (16-13, 5-7 ACC)
Atlanta, Ga. | Russ Chandler Stadium
Friday, April 4 | 7 p.m.
Duke RHP Drew Van Orden vs. GT RHP Josh Heddinger
Saturday, April 5 | 4 p.m.
Duke LHP Trent Swart vs. GT LHP Devin Stanton
Sunday, April 6 | 1 p.m.
Duke RHP Michael Matuella vs. GT RHP Matthew Grimes
• Duke ranks second in the league in team earned run average in ACC games, posting a 2.64 ERA over its first 12 conference contests ... Duke, Florida State and Virginia are the only two conference teams with an ERA under 3.00 in league action.
• Duke is 14-1 when leading after six innings.
• The Blue Devils are coming off their first sweep of North Carolina since the 1994 season. Duke has also swept two ACC series in the same season for the first time since 1994.
• The Blue Devils are one of four ACC teams to limit the opposition to 15 or fewer stolen bases on the year.
• Senior catcher Mike Rosenfeld ranks second in the ACC, throwing out 10 runners on stolen base attempts.
• Senior Matt Berezo leads the ACC with .400 batting average ... He is the only player in the league currently hitting .400 or better (minimum of 2.5 AB/team game) ... In ACC games, Berezo is hitting .405, a mark which ranks second in the conference.
• Senior Mark Lumpa leads the team both walks (23) and on base percentage (.446) ... The Saudi Arabia native has reached base in 17 consecutive contests, hitting .316 (18-for-57) with 18 walks during that span.
• Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini leads the ACC in both home runs (6) and total bases (61) ... The Brentwood, Tenn., native has a team-best eight games with multiple RBI, including four games with three or more runs driven in ... In addition, Marconcini is the only player in the ACC to total six or more home runs as well as six or more stolen bases.
• Duke is one of the more patient teams at the plate, drawing 143 walks as a team ... Entering the week, the Blue Devils ranked third in the ACC and 11th national in walks.
• Senior Robert Huber is one of two ACC pitchers, along with Miami’s Bryan Radziewski, with two career shutouts ... Huber has moved into the closer role this season, and currently ranks sixth in the ACC with four saves ... Huber and wake Forest’s Aaron Fossas are the only two ACC pitchers with five or more saves as well as three or more wins.
• Senior Jordan Betts leads all active ACC players with 60 career doubles ... Betts is one of three Duke players to belt 60 or more doubles in a career, joining Vaughn Schill (60) and Jeff Becker (74).
• Sophomore left-hander Nick Hendrix has appeared in the most games of any Duke pitcher (15) ... He’s also one of three Blue Devils pitchers to limit the opposition to under a .200 batting average.
Last Time Out
• Liberty belted three home runs late to defeat Duke 4-3 Tuesday, April 1 in Lynchburg, Va. ... The Blue Devils outhit the Flames 10-7 but left nine runners on base compared to three for Liberty ... Redshirt junior Aaron Cohn totaled three hits, including his 10th double of the season ... Junior Grant McCabe and sophomore Kenny Koplove added two hits apiece ... Junior Andrew Istler pitched four scoreless innings in the no decision ... Istler limited the Flames to two hits and did not walk a batter.
Georgia Tech Series History
• Friday’s game marks the 117th meeting in program history between Duke and Georgia Tech ... The Yellow Jackets lead the all-time series, 84-32, including a 36-9 record against the Blue Devils in Atlanta ... The series dates back to May 4, 1902, a 10-0 Georgia Tech victory ... Last season, the Blue Devils blanked the Yellow Jackets 3-0 Friday before shutting out Georgia Tech 2-0 Sunday to claim the series ... Duke became the first team since Georgia in 1955 to shut out Georgia Tech twice in the same series.
Duke in the ACC
• Duke enters the weekend with a 7-5 mark in conference action after sweeping North Carolina for the first time since 1994 ... The Blue Devils are in third place in the Coastal Division standings ... The Blue Devils rank third in the ACC in team ERA (2.86) and fielding percentage (.975) while sitting in eighth in team batting average (.262) ... Duke was picked to finish fifth in the Coastal Division in the ACC Preseason Coaches Poll ... The Blue Devils are 351-1015-6 all-time in ACC games ... Duke holds a 672-1,023-8 record against teams currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-84), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-24), NC State (124-151-1), North Carolina (96-182-3), Notre Dame (8-4), Pitt (4-4), Virginia (55-100-1), Virginia Tech (29-24) and Wake Forest (135-152-2) ... Duke is in search of its first ACC Tournament berth since 2009.
• Duke relies heavily on its defense and currently ranks third in the ACC with a .975 fielding percentage ... Duke is the only team in the conference to commit fewer than 30 errors while totaling over 1,150 fielding chances ... The other three squads with 1,150 or more chances all have 40 or more errors: Georgia Tech (1,200 chances, 40 errors), Miami (1,220 chances, 44 errors) and Wake Forest (1,280 chances, 49 errors) ... The Blue Devils are one of four ACC teams with 30 or fewer miscues on the season.
Run Game Success
• The Blue Devils have done well controlling the run game while also taking advantage of its stolen base opportunities ... Duke is one of two ACC teams, along with Notre Dame, to swipe 230 or more bases while also limiting the opposition to 15 or fewer stolen bases.