Duke (7-5) vs. No. 1 Virginia (9-2)
Duke (7-5) vs. No. 1 Virginia (9-2)
Saturday, March 8, 2014 | Jack Coombs Field | 1 p.m.
Duke RHP Drew Van Orden vs. Virginia LHP Nathan Kirby
Duke vs. No. 1 Virginia
Saturday, March 8 | 45 minutes after Game 1
Duke RHP Andrew Istler vs. Virginia RHP Josh SborzAudio | Live Stats | Twitter
Last Time Out
• Duke posted a 2-1 record at the Caravelle Resort Tournament in Myrtle Beach, S.C., before falling in 11 innings Wednesday against Liberty ... The Blue Devils lost to West Virginia (1-3) in their first game of the Caravelle Resort Tournament before picking up wins over Marshall (5-2) Saturday and Coastal Carolina (7-5) Sunday ... Duke’s starting pitching posted strong performances on the weekend, including a one-run showing from junior Trent Swart, a one-run, five-strikeout outing from junior Andrew Istler and a seven-inning, three-hit performance by sophomore James Marvel ... Redshirt junior Aaron Cohn laced a two-out, two-run double in the bottom of the eighth to send Wednesday’s game against Liberty to extra innings, but the Flames put six runs on the board to secure an 8-2 victory.
Virginia Series History
• Friday’s game marks the 158th meeting in program history between Duke and Virginia ... The Cavaliers lead the series 100-56-1, including a streak of five straight victories ... The two teams first met in 1906 as Duke won the inaugural meeting, 4-2 ... The Blue Devils are in search of their first series win over the Cavaliers since the 2008 campaign.
Duke vs. Virginia -- Last Three Series
Last Time We Met
• Then-No. 7 Virginia swept Duke in a three-game series May 10-12, 2013 in Charlottesville, Va. ... Trailing 5-3 heading to the bottom of the ninth, UVa rallied for three runs to earn the 6-5 victory Friday, May 10 ... The Cavaliers registered a season-high 22 hits Saturday, May 11 en route to a 17-8 victory ... Duke led 3-0 Sunday, May 12 but Virginia was able to put the finale away with a five-run seventh, taking the game 14-6.
Current Blue Devils vs. Virginia
Duke Hitters vs. Virginia
Duke Pitchers vs. Virginia
|Drew Van Orden||15.19||0-0||5.1||13||12||9||4||5|
Duke in the ACC
• Duke opens the ACC slate this weekend versus Virginia ... The Blue Devils rank sixth in the league in both team batting average (.268) and team ERA (2.56) while sitting in fourth in fielding percentage (.972) ... The Blue Devils are in search of their first ACC Tournament berth since 2009 ... Duke went 9-21 in league play a year ago, finishing sixth in the Coastal Division ... Duke was picked to finish fifth in the Coastal Division in the ACC Preseason Coaches Poll ... The Blue Devils are 344-1010-6 all-time in ACC games ... Duke holds a 665-1,018-8 record against team currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-84), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-24), NC State (124-151-1), North Carolina (93-182-3), Notre Dame (5-4), Pitt (4-1), Virginia (54-98-1), Virginia Tech (29-24) and Wake Forest (135-152-2).
Walk This Way
• The Blue Devils are one of the more patient teams at the plate in the ACC, totaling 64 walks as a team heading into the weekend ... Duke ranks third in the conference, averaging 5.33 walks per contest.
vs. Ranked Opponents
• No. 1 Virginia marks Duke’s first ranked opponent of the 2014 season ... The Blue Devils posted a 5-17 mark against ranked foes during the 2013 campaign ... 2014 also marks the second-consecutive season in which Duke takes on the No. 1 team in the country ... The Blue Devils faced then-No. 1 North Carolina in a three-game series April 20-21, 2013 in Chapel Hill, falling to the Tar Heels by scores of 1-7, 1-4 and 1-10.
Marconcini, Matuella Earn ACC Weekly Honors
• Duke is the only team to have ACC Player of the Week and ACC Pitcher of the Week honorees over the early part of the season ... Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini earned his first career ACC Player of the Week citation Feb. 24 after hitting .667 (10-for-15) over a four-game stretch ... Marconcini reached base in 14 of 19 total plate appearances while also adding six runs, seven RBI and three stolen bases in that span ... Sophomore Michael Matuella garnered the ACC Pitcher of the Week nod on Feb. 17 following his performance versus Binghamton ... The right-hander was perfect in 5.0 innings of work, needing just 71 pitches to retire all 15 batters he faced while striking out a career-high nine.
• Senior Jordan Betts has started all 178 games in his Duke career with 176 starts at third base and two at shortstop ... The Wilmington, N.C. native ranks second nationally in consecutive games started ... He is also one of eight current players to start every game in their collegiate careers.
Most Consecutive Starts (as of 3/5/14)
|Ryan Lindemuth||Sr.||William & Mary||181|
|Ross Kivett||Sr.||Kansas State||163|
Started Every Game of Career (as of 3/2/14)
|Mason Davis||Jr.||The Citadel||130|
|Alex Perez||Jr.||Virginia Tech||126|
|Dylan Bosheers||Jr.||Tennessee Tech||123|