Duke (28-17, 15-9 ACC) vs. Longwood (19-25, 8-13 Big South) Durham, N.C. | Jack Coombs Field (Sunday)/Durham Bulls Athletic Park (Monday)
Sunday, May 4 (Game 1) | 1 p.m. | Trent Swart (4-1, 0.75 ERA) vs. Brandon Vick (4-5, 3.28 ERA)
Sunday, May 4 (Game 2) | 4 p.m. | Michael Matuella (1-1, 2.54 ERA) vs. TBD
Monday, May 5 | 4 p.m. | Andrew Istler (7-5, 2.52 ERA) vs. TBD
• Duke has won 11 of its past 12 games including nine straight entering Sunday.
• The Blue Devils’ nine-game winning streak is the team’s longest since 2008.
• The Blue Devil pitching staff averages 8.77 strikeouts per game to rank second in the ACC.
• Duke pitchers have also combined to hit just 20 batters, the lowest total in the league ... The Blue Devils are the one of two ACC teams to hit 30 or fewer batters this season.
• Duke is 23-0 when leading after seven innings.
• The Blue Devils have swept four ACC series in the same season for the first time since 1994.
• The Blue Devils rank second in the ACC with 25 home runs ... Duke’s 25 homers are the most since the Blue Devils totaled 40 in 2010.
• Over Duke’s past 12 games, Andy Perez leads the team with a .413 average ... Perez has also posted .565 slugging percentage and .500 on base percentage during that span, adding eight stolen bases, 12 runs scored and seven RBI ... He brings a team-best six-game hitting streak into the weekend.
• Duke is the only team to have two different pitchers garner ACC Pitcher of the Week distinction this season (Michael Matuella and Drew Van Orden).
• RHP Andrew Istler leads the ACC in runners picked off ... He has accounted for seven of Duke’s 12 runners picked off this season ... No other conference pitcher has more than four pickoffs this season.
Longwood Series History
• Duke and Longwood have met eight times in program history ... The Blue Devils lead the all-time series 6-1-1 ... The two teams have not met since 2012 ... Duke won the last meeting 9-2 in Farmville, Va. ... The Blue Devils and the Lancers last met in Durham during the 2008 campaign.
Duke in the ACC
• Duke is ranked third in the ACC in team ERA (2.95), second in fielding percentage (.978) and seventh in batting average (.261) ... The Blue Devils’ 15 league wins are the most since the team posted a 15-15 mark during the 2009 season ... The Blue Devils have swept four ACC series for the first time since 1994 ... In comparison, Duke had four ACC series sweeps total from 1995-2012 ... Duke holds a 680-1,027-8 against teams currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-87), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-24), NC State (126-152-1), North Carolina (96-182-3), Notre Dame (8-4), Pitt (4-4), Virginia (55-100-1), Virginia Tech (32-24) and Wake Forest (138-152-2).
• Duke relies heavily on its defense and currently ranks second in the ACC with a .978 fielding percentage ... The Blue Devils are one of three ACC teams with 40 or fewer miscues on the season ... Duke and Maryland are the only league teams to average over 8.50 strikeouts per game while also fielding better than .970 ... The Blue Devils have earned the reputation as a strong defensive team, posting a fielding percentage of .970 or better in seven of the past eight seasons.
Controlling the Run Game
• The Blue Devils have done well controlling the run game this season ... Duke is one of four ACC teams to limit the opposition to under 30 stolen bases ... Opposing teams have attempted to steal just 43 times against Duke, succeeding on 27 (.659) ... Catcher Mike Rosenfeld is a large reason why, throwing out 11 of 31 runners on stolen base attempts ... The Blue Devils also ranked second in the league with 12 runners picked off.
Betts Having Career Year
• Senior Jordan Betts has anchored the Duke lineup this year, turning in career numbers in batting average (.322), slugging percentage (.545), on base percentage (.440) and walks (23) ... Betts is also one of 13 ACC players to total 15 or more multiple hit games on the season ... He leads the league with 16 doubles ... Betts also leads all active ACC players with 65 career doubles ... He is one of two Duke players to total 65 or more doubles in a career, joining Jeff Becker (74) in that distinction.
Huber Assumes Role as Closer
After starting on Sundays a season ago, senior Robert Huber has served as the team’s closer in 2014 ... Huber currently ranks third in the ACC with 10 saves ... He is one of just three Blue Devil pitchers to record 10 or more saves in a single season since the stat was first recorded in 1969 ... Huber’s 11 career saves ranks fifth in program history ... The Plano, Texas, native is one of four pitchers in Duke history to total five or more saves as well as 15 or more wins in a career, joining David Darwin, Ryan Jackson and Marcus Stroman ... He is also one of two active ACC pitchers, along with Miami’s Bryan Radziewski, with two career shutouts.
Lumpa Patient at the Plate
• Senior Mark Lumpa leads the nation in walks (40) and ranks third in walks per game (0.91) ... Lumpa is the 10th player in Duke history to draw 40 or more walks in a season and the first since Jeff Kremer in 2011 ... The Saudi Arabia native also ranks third in the league in on base percentage (.464) and second in runs scored (40).
Marconcini Provides Power
• Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini leads the ACC in both RBI (42) and home runs (8) ... The Brentwood, Tenn., native has driven in 35 or more runs in each of his three active seasons at Duke ... He also has a team-best 12 game with multiple RBI, including seven with three or more runs driven in ... Marconcini is also the only player in the ACC to total seven or more home runs as well as seven or more stolen bases.