• Duke advanced to its fifth NCAA title game with a 15-12 win over Denver
• The Blue Devils face off against Notre Dame in the championship match for the second time overall
• Notre Dame advanced on an 11-6 win over ACC foe Maryland, earning its second appearance in title match
The Series History
• Duke and Notre Dame meet for the second time this season and 16th time overall
• The Blue Devils hold a 9-6 lead in the series and a 3-1 edge in NCAA Tournament games
• Duke won the 2014 regular season game 15-7 in South Bend
Tale Of The Tape
Duke by the Numbers
2-2 – The Blue Devils’ record in NCAA title games
298 – Career points for Jordan Wolf, two shy of becoming the second ACC player to reach 300
169 – Points this season by Duke’s first midfield line of Class, Jones and Walsh - the most by a unit in school history
97 – Points this season for Jordan Wolf, three shy of becoming the first Blue Devil to record 100 points in a season
18 – Points for Myles Jones in three NCAA Tournament games, five shy of Matt Danowski’s Duke record 23
4 - Goals for Kyle Keenan on four shots in semifinal win over Denver
468 – Career ground balls for Brendan Fowler, five shy of taking over the No. 4 spot in NCAA history
488 – Faceoffs taken by Brendan Fowler in 2014, second in NCAA single season history to his 526 taken last year
32 – Career hat tricks for Jordan Wolf, including 13 this season
18 – Goals per game average for the Blue Devils in the three tournament games this year
8.00 – Goals allowed by per game by Notre Dame in its three NCAA Tournament games
How Duke Got Here
Duke junior Kyle Keenan registered four goals and Jordan Wolf added five points to help the Blue Devils to a 15-12 win over Denver ... Junior goaltender Kyle Turri came off the bench to make four saves in 13:46 of action to hold off the Pioneers down the stretch ... Deemer Class added three goals and Chad Cohan had two ... Christian Walsh dished out a game-high three assists.
How Notre Dame Got Here
Matt Kavanagh had five goals and seven points overall to lead Notre Dame to an 11-6 win over Maryland ... Connor Doyle added four points ... Matt Landis forced three turnovers in the Irish’s defensive effort and Connor Kelly made 14 saves against the Terps.
Last Time We Met
Jordan Wolf tallied four goals and three assists and Deemer Class added five goals and two assists to lead the No. 3 Blue Devils to a 15-7 win over seventh-ranked Notre Dame in early April ... Duke held Notre Dame scoreless for 21:57 en route to a 5-1 lead early in the second quarter ... Duke led by as many as 10 and held Irish leading scorer Matt Kavanagh without a goal and to just two shots overall in the game ... The Irish won the faceoff battle 15-10.
The Streak Continues
Duke has won seven straight NCAA Tournament games ... The Blue Devils are trying to become the first repeat champion since Syracuse won in 2008 and 2009 and the sixth program to do so in NCAA history ... The Blue Devils are the lone squad to reach eight consecutive championship weekends in the 21st century ... Since 2000, Duke, Syracuse and Virginia have landed in the NCAA semifinal round nine times ... Maryland and Johns Hopkins have seven appearances ... Overall Syracuse holds the record with 22 straight from 1983-2004.
Duke and Notre Dame share eight common opponents, including four non-conference foes ... The Blue Devils went 7-2 against the eight foes, while the Irish were 7-4 in the 11 meetings with the eight squads.
W, 9-8 (OT)
W, 21-7, L, 15-16
L, 10-11, W, 15-14
L, 8-12, W, 6-5, W, 11-6
Danowski in Rematches
Head coach John Danowski is 21-8 in rematches from regular season games during his eight seasons at Duke ... He is 15-7 in rematches when the Blue Devils win the regular season contest ... This marks the first time Duke has faced Notre Dame in the postseason after winning the regular season game ... In non-conference rematches, Duke is 7-2 with the two losses coming against Johns Hopkins.
NCAA Tournament Notes
• Duke is making its fifth appearance in the NCAA title game and second consecutive
• The Blue Devils are 31-15 all-time in the NCAA Tournament ... The 31 wins are sixth among Division I teams ... Duke is 2-2 in championship games
• Jordan Wolf leads all current Blue Devils with 48 career NCAA Tournament points (28g, 20a) ... Josh Dionne and Christian Walsh have 25.
• Duke has won 25 of its past 31 NCAA playoff games and seven straight ... Three of the losses have come against Johns Hopkins in 2005 and 2007 title games and 2008 semifinals
• Overall, the Blue Devils are 26-6 in NCAA action when scoring at least 10 goals and 1-9 when held to single digits
A Win Over Notre Dame Would
• Give Duke its second consecutive NCAA Championship and third overall
• Mark the first time a team has won consecutive championships since Syracuse did so in 2008 and 2009
• Be the program’s 32nd NCAA Tournament victory
• Make Duke 63-58-1 all-time in the month of May
• Give John Danowski his 347th career victory, 128th at Duke and 27th in the NCAA Tournament
• Be the program’s 508th victory
2014 Wolf Moving Up Single-Season Charts
With five points against Denver, Wolf moved into a tie with mentor Matt Danowski on the Duke single-season scoring chart with 97 points ... Wolf is fourth in goals and seventh in assists ... He is two points shy of becoming the first Duke player and 13th in NCAA history to reach 100 points in a single season.
Wolf Climbing Career Lists
Wolf continues to move up the Duke, ACC and NCAA career lists ... His 298 points (182 goals and 116 assists) rank second in Duke and ACC history and ninth in NCAA history ... His 182 goals are third in Duke history, fourth in the ACC and 10th all-time in the NCAA records book ... He is two points shy of becoming the second player in ACC history and ninth in NCAA history to reach 300 career points.