Courtesy: Duke Sports Information Release: 11/23/2012
BDN+ Premium Content
Valparaiso at Duke
Postgame Notes l November 23, 2012
With the Duke Victory…
• Picked up the program’s 57th-straight win over an unranked, non-conference opponent at home while improving to 34-2 against non-conference opponents at Cameron Indoor Stadium dating back to the 2008-09 campaign.
• Won its 26th consecutive home game in the month of November, dating back to 2001. The team also moved to 23-3 in the month of November over the past four seasons.
• Took a 1-0 advantage in the series after facing Valparaiso for the first time in program history.
• Improved to 8-0 all-time against teams from the Horizon League, while head coach Joanne P. McCallie moved to 11-1 all-time against Horizon League members.
Junior Tricia Liston
• Earned her second career double-double, scoring 17 points to go with a career-best 12 rebounds.
• Turned in her eighth consecutive double-figure scoring effort and the 29th of her career.
• Led Duke in rebounding for the seventh time in her career and the third time in as many games this season.
• Extended her streak of consecutive games with at least one three-pointer to 10, dating back to the 2011-12 season.
• Notched a career-high three blocks.
Junior Haley Peters
• Scored in double figures for the 32nd time in her career and third time in as many games this season, finishing with 16 points on 7-of-14 shooting from the floor.
• Also pulled down a season-high nine rebounds in addition to recording two assists and two steals.
Senior Allison Vernerey
• Registered four points and six rebounds, including four on the offensive end of the floor.
• Also picked up two steals, in addition to two assists and three blocks.
Junior Chelsea Gray
• Posted her 11th straight game with double-digit scoring and the 46th of her career, finishing the night with 11 points.
• Extended her streak of consecutive three throws made to 33, dating back to the 2011-12 season, after going 6-of-6 at the charity stripe in the win.
• Has made at least one three-pointer in all three games on the season.
• Tallied a team-high six assists and grabbed seven rebounds on the night.
Freshman Alexis Jones
• Pulled down a season-high nine rebounds while also swiping a season-best four steals.
• Scored seven points while also tallying four assists in 32 minutes of action.
Sophomore Elizabeth Williams
• First Blue Devil off the bench, entering the game with 15:51 remaining in the first half.
• Scored a season-high 18 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field over 17 minutes of action.
• Led Duke in scoring for the 10th time in her career and the first time during the 2012-13 campaign.
• Tallied her 29th career double-figure scoring game and her second of the season.
• Grabbed a season-high eight boards, including six on the offensive end of the floor.
• Also registered three blocks in the contest.
Freshman Sierra Moore
• Finished the night with six points and two rebounds.
• Went 2-of-2 at the free throw line for a season-best free throw shooting performance (1.000).
• Matched her season-best with one assist.
Sophomore Ka’lia Johnson
• Topped her previous career best (set last weekend against Iona) with an 11-point scoring effort for the first double-figure scoring performance of her Duke career.
• Matched her career-best shooting performance with a 4-of-6 (.667) effort from the field.
• Also set a new personal-best in the steals column with three.
Sophomore Jenna Frush
• Entered the game with 4:02 remaining in the second half.
• Notched the first assist of her career, feeding teammate Ka’lia Johnson for a layup with 29 seconds remaining.
Other Duke Notes…
• The Blue Devils used a 31-7 run over the final 12 minutes of the first half to take a 48-22 lead at the break.
• As a team, outrebounded Valparaiso, 57-28.
• Duke topped the 80-point mark for the third time in as many games this season.
• Scored 36 points off of 25 forced turnovers in the contest.
• Totaled 54 points in the paint.
• Duke received 35 points from the bench.
• The junior class accounted for 44 points and 28 rebounds in the win.
• Had five players reach double-digits in the scoring column for the second consecutive game.
• Duke will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio to take Xavier on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 2 p.m.