Courtesy: Duke Sports Information Release: 03/03/2013
BDN+ Premium Content
#15 North Carolina at #5 Duke
Postgame Notes l March 3, 2013
With the Duke Victory…
• Improved to 27-2 overall and 17-1 in the ACC to finish the regular season.
• Posted an ACC-record 17 league wins this season.
• Moved the all-time series record to 47-38 in favor of UNC.
• Won its sixth straight game against North Carolina.
• Coach P moved to 41-2 at home against ACC opponents during her six years.
• Improved to 22-13 all-time at home versus North Carolina.
• Moved to 14-0 at home this season marking the fourth undefeated regular season in Blue Devil history (2006-07, 2008-09, 2010-11).
• Coach P moved to 82-5 all-time in Cameron Indoor Stadium..
Freshman Alexis Jones
• Scored a career-high 22 points and dished four assists.
• Totaled double-figure scoring for the third straight game, which is a career best.
• Had two three-point plays.
• Hit a career-high 11-of-12 from the free throw line, including 11 in a row.
• Owns 100 assists on the season.
• Moved into a tie for seventh on Duke’s single-season freshman steals list with 54.
• Tallied double-digit scoring for the ninth time this season.
Sophomore Elizabeth Williams
• Notched 13 points, six rebounds, two steals, one assist and five blocked shots.
• Her five blocked shots is the most since she swatted five on Dec. 9 vs. St. John’s.
• Notched double-digit scoring for the 16th straight ACC contest.
• Blocked a shot for the 62nd straight game since arriving at Duke.
• With her five blocked shots, moved into fourth place on Duke’s all-time swats list with 199.
• Moved into fifth on Duke’s single-season blocks list with 82.
• Notched double-figure scoring in the 26th time this season and 53 times in her career.
Senior Allison Vernerey
• Notched six rebounds, four points, two blocks and one steal in 16 minutes.
• Made her fifth start of the season.
• Was honored prior to the game as she played her final regular season game in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Junior Haley Peters
• Totaled 10 points, seven rebounds and two steals.
• Netted double-figure scoring for the third straight game, 22nd time this season and 51 times in her career.
Junior Tricia Liston
• Posted eight points, five rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
• Hit 1-of-4 from downtown.
• Missed eight consecutive three-pointers in a span of two games before draining her first of the game at the 9:41 mark of the second half.
• Snapped a streak of hitting 12 straight free throws with her first attempt in the second half.
Junior Richa Jackson
• Pulled down seven rebounds, which tied for a team-best.
Other Duke Notes…
• With Alexis Jones scoring 22 points, Duke now owns five different players with 20 or more points in a game this season.
• Cut down the nets after the game for winning the ACC regular season title for the fourth straight year and the second straight outright title.
• Was outrebounded for the second straight game, 48-47.
• Held UNC to only 29.7 percent shooting in the game, which was a season low.
• Hit only 2-of-11 three-pointers.
• Drained 23-of-30 free throws.
• Totaled a season-high 29 turnovers.
• Blocked eight shots.
• Dished only nine assists, which is the lowest for Duke in ACC play this season.
• Registered its first sellout crowd of the season with 9,314 fans. It marks the 15th sellout in school history and the first since Feb. 27, 2011 versus North Carolina.
• Went on a 22-2 run in the second half to grab a 48-34 lead at the 9:41 mark.
• Trailed at the half, 27-26, marking the second straight game the Blue Devils have trailed at the break and third time this season (UConn, at Miami).
• Will next play in the ACC Tournament on Friday, March 8 at 2:00 p.m., against the winner of the No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed contest in Greensboro, N.C.