Duke vs. Davidson
Wednesday, December 2, 2012 • 7:00 p.m. • ESPN2
Charlotte, N.C. • Time Warner Cable Arena (19,077)
Play-by-Play: Carter Blackburn
Analyst: Jay Bilas
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst: John Roth
The Opening Tip
• Duke is 12-0 on the year and looking to open the season with 13 straight wins for the seventh time under Mike Krzyzewski.
• The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the past 16 seasons.
• Duke has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll 125 weeks overall, including 107 weeks under Coach K.
• Duke is 219-31 all-time when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll. Krzyzewski is second in NCAA history with 186 wins and 212 games at the helm of the top-ranked team in the AP Poll.
• Duke has won 16 consecutive games at the start of the calendar year. Duke is 29-3 after the turn of the calendar under Coach K.
• Seniors Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Mason Plumlee are Duke’s top three scorers and combine to average 49.0 points per game. Those three have combined for at least 40 points in 11 of Duke’s 12 games this season.
The Last Time Out
• Duke won its third straight game as the No. 1 team in the nation, 90-77 over Santa Clara in Cameron Indoor Stadium on Dec. 29. Senior Seth Curry scored a career-high 31 points, and classmates Mason Plumlee (22 points, 13 rebounds) and Ryan Kelly (10 points, 11 rebounds) added double-doubles.
• Plumlee scored his 1,000th career point in the win, becoming the 61st Duke player to do so.
• Point guard Quinn Cook also scored in double figures with 15 points while adding five assists and five rebounds.
• Duke outrebounded Santa Clara 40-28 for the team’s highest rebounding margin of the season. It was Duke’s second straight game with at least 11 more rebounds over its opponent.
• Led by Curry’s 4-of-7 effort from three-point range, Duke shot 50.0 percent from long range in the win.
• Duke, ranked No. 1 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 102 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
• Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (212 entering Wednesday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
• Duke is playing its 189th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 158-30 in that span.
• Duke has played Davidson 105 times in the all-time series, which is the most of any non-ACC team Duke has faced. The series, which began in 1909, is the seventh-most played in Duke history.
• The Blue Devils have won their first game after the turn of the calendar in 16 straight seasons. Duke is 29-3 under Coach K in the first game of the calendar year with the last loss coming on Jan. 3, 1996 against Clemson.
• The Blue Devils have won 48 of their last 53 non-conference contests. Duke is 80-9 in non-league games since the start of the 2008-09 season.
• Duke’s starting lineup has accounted for 87.2 percent of the team’s total scoring this season with 849 of Duke’s 974 points. The starters have accounted for 47 of Duke’s 49 double-figure scoring games on the year.
• Mason Plumlee has scored 16 or more points in all 12 games this season and ranks second in the ACC in scoring (19.5 ppg.). He also leads the league in rebounding (11.6 rpg.) and double-doubles (eight). Plumlee is attempting to become just the fifth player in Duke history to average 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game for a season.
• Quinn Cook has 30 assists and just seven turnovers in his last five games while averaging 10.6 points per game during that span. He is shooting .556 (10-of-18) from three-point range during that stretch.
• Ryan Kelly is shooting .611 (11-of-18) from three-point range over his past six contests. Duke is shooting .462 (49-of-106) with 8.2 treys per game during that stretch.
• Mason Plumlee recorded his 1,000th career point on Saturday versus Santa Clara. Plumlee is the 61st Duke player to reach the 1,000-point plateau. Seth Curry needs just 30 more points to reach 1,000 for his Duke career. Duke is currently third in NCAA history with 61 career 1,000-point scorers.
Duke-Davidson Series History
• Duke leads the all-time series 88-17, including a 23-1 mark under Mike Krzyzewski.
• Duke has won the last 23 meetings in the series, with 21 of the 23 victories coming by 10 or more points.
• The series dates back to 1909 with Duke recording a 22-8 win in the series opener.
• Duke is 6-0 with a +34.2 margin of victory over Davidson when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll.
• The Davidson series is Duke’s most played non-conference series in school history.
Duke vs. the Southern Conference
• Duke is 145-24 all-time against teams currently in the Southern Conference.
• Under Mike Krzyzewski, Duke is 50-2 against the Southern Conference.
• Duke has won 50 straight against Southern Conference opponents. Duke’s last loss to a SoCon foe was a 75-73 setback to Davidson Dec. 29, 1981.
• Duke is 1-0 this season against the Southern Conference with a 76-54 win over Elon Dec. 20.