Courtesy: Duke Sports Information Release: 03/01/2013
BDN+ Premium Content
Virginia 73, Duke 68
• Duke played its 204th straight game as a top-10 team. Duke is 170-34 in that span.
• The Blue Devils fell to 110-23 when ranked No. 3 in the AP Poll. Duke had lost just twice in the past 17 games prior to tonight’s loss when ranked No. 3.
• Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski remains one win why of tying Dean Smith for second on the list for most wins by a coach at one school. Krzyzewski is 878-236 in his 33 seasons at Duke.
• Coach K fell to 51-7 against Virginia as Duke’s head coach. Duke had won eight straight games and 17 of the last 18 contests prior to tonight’s loss.
• Virginia beat a ranked Duke team for the first time in 11 years to the day. On Feb. 28, 2002, unranked Virginia beat No. 3 Duke 87-84 in Charlottesville.
• Virginia guard Joe Harris scored 36 points, the highest by an individual against Duke this season. Duke had not allowed a 30-point scorer since March 16, 2012 when Lehigh’s CJ McCollum scored 30 in the NCAA Tournament second round.
• The Blue Devils took 47.2 percent of their shots from three-point range, the third highest percentage in a game this season and the largest clip since Nov. 19, 2012. Duke has taken more than 40.0 percent of its shots from three-point range just four times in 27 games.
• Duke shot 90.0 percent (18-of-20) from the free throw line, the second highest clip of the season.
• Duke did not make a field goal over a span of 6:05 in the second half. Duke missed five straight free throws during that span while Virginia went on a 9-4 run to reclaim a double-digit lead.
• With Seth Curry’s 28 points and Quinn Cook’s 24, Duke had two 20-point scorers for the sixth time this season.
• Duke’s starters accounted for 64 of the team’s 68 points (94.1 percent). Duke’s starters account for an NCAA-leading 68.0 points per game this season.
• Scored 22 points to register his 17th double-figure performance this season and the 22nd of his career. It was Cook’s third 20-point game of the season.
• Scored 11 points in the final two minutes of the game.
• Went 4-of-9 from three-point range and is now shooting 41.2 percent (47-of-114) from behind the arc.
• Attempted a career-high 17 field goals, making eight.
• Had 28 points in 34 minutes of action. Curry has scored in double figures in 22 of 27 games this season and in 10 consecutive contests.
• Notched his 14th 20-point game of the season and ninth in ACC play. Curry is averaging 18.1 points per game in ACC play.
• Registered at least two three-pointers for the 21st time this season and for the eighth consecutive game. He is 27-of-56 from three-point range over the last eight contests.
• Shot 10-of-12 from the free throw line, tying a career high for made free throws.
• Now has 73 three-pointers this season, a career-best for the senior in his three seasons at Duke and the most by a Duke player since 2009-10 when Jon Scheyer hit 110 and Kyle Singler hit 85.
• Moved into sixth place at Duke in career rebounds, passing Kyle Singler.
• Went 6-of-6 from the free throw line to shoot over 70.0 percent from the line for the seventh time in the past eight games.
• Did not sub out the entire game.
MORE DUKE ATHLETIC FACILITIES, GAME OPERATIONS AND CHAMPIONSHIPS