Duke (3-0-0) vs. Presbyterian (1-2-0)
Sept. 5, 2017 | 7 p.m. | ACC Network Extra
Durham, N.C. | Koskinen Stadium
SETTING THE SCENE
- Duke, unbeaten at 3-0-0, hosts Presbyterian in its first midweek game of 2017. The Blue Hose are 1-2-0 and coming off of a loss to Elon.
- Kickoff is set for 7 p.m., at Koskinen Stadium on ACC Network Extra. Fans unable to attend can catch the game on ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app.
DUKE BY THE NUMBERS
2 – Starting rookie goalkeepers in the ACC – Will Pulisic and Leon Krapf of NC State
3 – Rookies in Duke’s Starting XI, tied for the second most in the ACC and one of three teams in the 12-team league to have at least three freshmen starters
8 – Goals by the Blue Devils in the first three games, one fewer than Duke scored in the first six games combined in 2016
8 – Of Duke’s 10 starting field players who have at least one point on the season
1 – Goal allowed by Duke in the three previous meetings with Presbyterian
5 – Seniors in Duke’s Starting XI, the most in recent seasons
4 – Points for senior captain Markus Fjørtoft after three games, one point shy of his career-best five in 2015
2.67 – Goals per game for Duke in 2017, ranking fourth in the ACC
1.41 – Goals per game average for the Blue Devils in 2016, 10th in the ACC
177 – Of the 5430 minutes Duke has played in the past three seasons in which Markus Fjørtoft has not been on the field
- Duke and Presbyterian are meeting for the fourth time in the programs’ histories. The Blue Devils own a 3-0 lead and have outscored the Blue Hose 12-1 in the three games. All three contests have come under head coach John Kerr.
LAST TIME OUT
- Duke is coming off of a thrilling comeback victory over High Point Friday afternoon. The Blue Devils trailed 2-1 late in the second half before Markus Fjørtoft netted the tying goal with just over two minutes remaining in regulation.
- With all the momentum in their favor, the Devils needed just over five minutes to get the game winner as Ciaran McKenna headed home a Cody Brinkman service for his second game winner of the year.
ABOUT THE BLUE DEVILS
- Duke enters its first midweek contest unscathed after a thrilling 3-2 overtime win over High Point last Friday. The Blue Devils are 3-0-0 overall, the third time they have started the season with three wins under Kerr.
- Five different Blue Devils own goals for Duke with Brian White, Ciaran McKenna and Markus Fjørtoft all having two apiece.
- Will Pulisic is 3-0-0 in goal with a 0.65 goals against average and a .778 save percentage. He owns seven saves and two shutouts in his three starts.
- Presbyterian is 1-2-0 and coming off of a 2-0 loss at Elon Saturday. The Blue Hose’s win was a 3-1 triumph over USC Upstate, while the other loss came in the season opener to Davidson 2-1.
- Four different players have scored for Presbyterian this season and seven have at least one point.
- Connor Behrend has played every minute in goal and sports a 1.67 goals against average and a .615 save percentage. He has eight saves.
ROOKIES IN STARTING XI
- Duke has three freshmen in its Starting XI. The Blue Devils are one of three ACC schools to start at least three rookies. Will Pulisic is one of two rookie goalkeepers to be manning the net for his team in 2017.
- NC State has the most freshmen in its starting lineup with five, while Virginia also has three. The Wolfpack’s goalie - Leon Krapf – is the other rookie goalkeeper in the 12-team league.
- Duke has scored a goal in the first half of all three games this season. The Blue Devils tallied 10 goals overall in the opening 45 minutes in 2016.
- Through three games last season, the Blue Devils had just one first-half tally. Duke went 3-1-0 when leading at the half last season and 5-2-1 when scoring first. The Blue Devils are 3-0-0 in both categories this season.
INCREASED SCORING PACE
- Duke is averaging 2.67 goals per game this season to rank fourth in the ACC. The Blue Devils are one third of the way to its total of 24 goals in 2016 after just three games this season. They had seven goals in the first three games last season with five of them in one game.
- Duke averaged 1.41 goals overall last year to rank 11th in the 12-team ACC.
- The Blue Devils open ACC play against Virginia Tech Sept. 8. The game will be televised on RSN.
- Duke hits the road for the first time, traveling to Greensboro for a neutral site game against North Carolina. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m., Sept. 16.