Stay Connected with Duke Athletics
article image
Courtesy: Duke Athletics
Duke Falls to Maryland 2-0 in NCAA 3rd Round
Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
Release: 11/24/2018
BDN+ Premium Content
Related Links

DURHAM, N.C.— Maryland capitalized on two of its eight shots and held the 10th-ranked Duke scoreless over 90 minutes to come away with a 2-0 win in the third round of the NCAA Championship. The 11-seeded Terrapins advance to the quarterfinals with the victory.

The Blue Devils, seeded sixth in the tournament, concludes the 2018 season with an 11-7-2 overall record and falls in the NCAA round of 16 for the second consecutive season. Maryland improves to 10-6-4 on the year.

Duke had the better of possession in the early moments of the first half and nearly took a 1-0 lead five minutes in when Daniel Wright’s shot gave Maryland keeper Dayne St. Clair trouble. The shot skipped and hit off of St. Clair’s face to keep it from crossing the line.

Rookie Issa Rayyan was finding success down the right flank for the Blue Devils and fired a shot just left of the frame in the 18th minute.

The Terrapins made the most of their chances in the 24th minute as Paul Bin served the ball in from the right side. William James Herve capitalized  with a perfect volley past Duke goalkeeper Will Pulisic for the 1-0 lead.

“Momentum changes when goals are scored and that’s exactly what happened, because we were on the offensive for most of the half and got a little bit of momentum after they scored,” head coach John Kerr said.

That goal put Maryland in control despite Duke having the better of play over the first 23 minutes. The Terrapins nearly made it 2-0 less than 10 minutes later, but a sliding Brandon Williamson cleared the ball off the line to send the Blue Devils into the locker room down 1-0.

Duke, looking to prolong its season for another week, nearly equalized in the opening minutes of the second half. Excellent ball movement off of a restart at midfield allowed Rayyan to find Max Moser on the right side. The winger swung a ball to the back post where Suniel Veerakone was able to keep the ball in play, but Proch’s shot from 12 yards out ricocheted off of a Maryland defender and a Blue Devil to stay out of the goal.

Less than 10 minutes later a turnover by the Blue Devils deep in their defensive third, allowed the Terrapins to flip the script and double their lead to 2-0. Amar Sejdic was the recipient of the turnover and he calmly placed a shot past Pulisic for his seventh goal of the year.

“I thought we came out in the second half and dominated and then made a mix-up play and allowed them to score the second goal early,” Kerr said. “From then on we’re chasing the game and really trying to get back into the game.”

The Blue Devils continued to battle and forced St. Clair to make saves, but the Terrapins were steady defensively and held Duke scoreless in the final 37 minutes.

Duke outshot Maryland 16-8 with eight of the chances coming on goal. St. Clair finished with eight saves, while Pulisic had two stops.