Duke Hands out End of Season Awards
- The Duke wrestling team recently held its annual end-of-season banquet, celebrating another top-25 finish in the NCAA Championship among other notable achievements by the Blue Devils.
- All-American Mitch Finesilver took home a pair of awards, garnering the team’s Most Outstanding Wrestler honor as well as the Total Student-Athlete Award for his excellence in the classroom and on the mat and his efforts in the community.
- Redshirt freshman Benjamin Anderson took away two awards as well, being named the Outstanding Freshman and the recipient of the Outstanding Scholar award which is given to the wrestler who possesses a strong academic record as well as making big strides on the mat.
- Brandon Leynaud, a tireless worker for Duke in the wrestling room for the past four years, was awarded the Dylan “Rhino” Ryan Award for his dedication to the sport and to the Duke wrestling program. Leynaud gave every ounce of effort he had in making the Blue Devils better and also excelled off the mat as a strong student and representative in the ACE program.
Mitch Finesilver Garners Top Honor
- The honors continued to roll in for redshirt senior Mitch Finesilver after he captured All-America honors at the NCAA Championships in March. After taking fourth at NCAAs, Finesilver also was voted as Duke’s Senior Male Student-Athlete of the Year.
- He defines all-around excellence as he found much success both on and off the mat. A recipient of an ACC Postgraduate Scholarship, Finesilver finished his career ranked eighth in victories with 95 and became the Blue Devils’ fourth All-American in program history. His 33 wins in 2018-19 rank sixth on the single-season charts.
Blue Devils Headed to Las Vegas
- A quartet of Blue Devils is headed to Las Vegas to compete in the 2019 U.S. Open. Mitch Finesilver, Josh Finesilver and Matt Finesilver each will compete in the open division of the freestyle competition, while Kaden Russell will wrestle in the junior division of both freestyle and Greco Roman.
- FloWrestling will have all of the coverage of the tournament, which runs from April 24-27.
- Josh Finesilver (65 KG)
- Mitch Finesilver (70 KG)
- Matt Finesilver (79 KG)
- Kaden Russell (87 KG)
- Kaden Russell (86 KG)
Josh Finesilver Joins ACE Program
Sophomore Josh Finesilver is the latest Duke wrestler to be picked to take part in The Rubenstein-Bing Student-Athlete Civic Engagement Program (ACE) this summer. Finesilver will be headed to Peru from July 20-Aug. 10. The Peruvian program’s focus is developing and promoting environmental sustainability through water conservation infrastructure projects and broad-based education in communities surrounding Cusco, Peru.
Josh is the fifth Blue Devil wrestler to take part in the program and the second in his family after Mitch participated in the Vietnam program last summer. Duke’s five ACE participants are Jake Faust (India, 2016), Araad Fisher (South Africa, 2017), Brandon Leynaud (China, 2017), Mitch Finesilver (Vietnam, 2018), Josh Finesilver (Peru, 2019).