CARY, N.C. - The 22nd-ranked Duke women’s tennis fell to fifth-ranked Georgia Tech, 4-0, on Friday in an ACC Championship quarterfinal matchup at Cary Tennis Park. The No. 2-seeded Yellow Jackets improve to 21-4 on the year with the win, while the No. 7-seeded Blue Devils fall to 11-10.
Georgia Tech won the doubles point, winning matches at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots, as the 10th-ranked Duke duo of senior Daniela Bercek and sophomore Melissa Mang fell to third-ranked Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray, 8-1, at the top spot and freshman Amanda Granson and sophomore Jessi Robinson fell to Tarynn Rudman and Kirsten Flower, 8-2, at No. 3.
Singles competition saw the Yellow Jackets take three initial matches for the 4-0 win. At No. 6, Robinson fell to Rudman, 6-2, 6-1, and freshman Elizabeth Plotkin fell to 74th-ranked Amanda Craddock, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 3, before Amanda McDowell defeated senior Tory Zawacki, 6-1, 6-4, at the No. 4 position to end the match.
Duke now awaits its seeding for the 2007 NCAA Championships, which will be announced on May 1. First and second round matches are set for May 11 and 12 at campus sites to be determined, while the NCAA Championships will take place in Athens, Ga., on May 17-28.
Complete Results: #5 Georgia Tech 4 , #22 Duke 0
2007 ACC Championship Quarterfinals - Cary, N.C.
1. Kristi Miller (GT) vs. Daniela Bercek (DU) -- DNF
2. Alison Silverio (GT) vs. Melissa Mang (DU) -- DNF
3. Amanda Craddock (GT) vs. Elizabeth Plotkin (DU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Amanda McDowell (GT) vs. Tory Zawacki (DU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Christy Striplin (GT) vs. Clelia Deltour (DU) -- DNF
6. Tarryn Rudman (GT) vs. Jessi Robinson (DU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4*
1. Miller/Whitney McCray (GT) def. Bercek/Mang (DU) 8-1
2. Craddock/Silverio (GT) vs. Zawacki/Plotkin (DU) -- DNF
3. Rudman/Kirsten Flower (GT) def. Robinson/Deltour (DU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1
- d u k e -