DURHAM, N.C.--All four of members of the Duke men’s lacrosse coaching staff was in attendance for the fourth and final coaches clinic Wednesday night. The clinic covered both offensive and defensive principles and used Duke game video to demonstrate the basics on both ends of the field as well as the clearing game, man-up and man down.
After dealing with slight audio issues in the beginning where head coach John Danowski expressed his gratitude for the many coaches who have tuned in live and watched the archived video. Please excuse the first 5-10 minutes, the audio does improve.
In the spirit of the holiday season he reminded those watching that Duke lacrosse is raising money to sponsor a room at the Ronald McDonald House in Durham. Duke has a fundraiser page set up and if each viewer who has watched a coaches clinic could donate $10, there would be one more suite for a family with a sick child being cared for at Duke Hospital. Anyone can donate here: https://www.classy.org/campaign/lacrosse-for-hope/c107865.
- Draw Play Techniques and Counter Moves
- Wing Play
- o Box, scrap, play offense or defense
- Box Play
- o Offense – Attack vs. Possess
- o Defense – Clear vs. Defend
- In the box defense
- o Live ball, beat the whistle, dead ball
- Transition defense
- o Save, ground ball, nugget, dead ball
- Man Down
- o Live Play – Save, ground ball, nugget, dead ball
In the Box Offense
- Clearing through
- Inside Cut – pop, seal, slip
- Step in
- Shooting, cutting
- Inside individual dodge
In the Box Defense
- Approaching the ball
- Inside Technique
- Team Position
- o Ball behind, at the wins, up top
- PPT – Position, plan, technique
Man-Up and Man Down
- Play or set oriented and when to decide
- Basic principles of the triangle on man down defense
The Blue Devils’ 2018 schedule will be released in the coming weeks. Duke will open the season Feb. 3 at Air Force.