Duke Gridiron Monday starts your work week with a beyond-the-numbers look at Blue Devil football with photos, social media, recaps, #DukeInTheNFL updates and more.
SATURDAY REWIND: Virginia 28, Duke 21
Virginia quarterback Kurt Benkert threw three touchdowns passes to lead the Cavaliers to a 28-21 win over Duke as 38,638 fans looked on at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville.
Virginia broke a 14-14 halftime deadlock with two touchdowns before Shaun Wilson’s 76-yard kickoff return set up a four-yard scoring run by Quentin Harris to pull the Blue Devils to within seven points at the 6:14 mark of the fourth quarter. On its final possession, Duke managed to drive to the Cavalier 30 yard line, but turned the ball over on downs with 1:08 remaining.
“I think had we played as well as we can play, and that is my job, we could have had a different outcome, but we did not,” said Duke head coach David Cutcliffe. “The story was pretty simple. We have issues in the passing game. It has somewhat disappeared.”
RECORD BOOK WATCH
The Blue Devils have established a school single-season record with four interception returns for touchdowns in 2017. The previous standard of three was set in1942, 1945 and 1949.
BIG DAY FOR GILES-HARRIS
Against the Cavaliers, linebacker Joe Giles-Harris produced a team-high 15 tackles including 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.0 quarterback sack, one caused fumble and one pass breakup. The double digit tackle total marked his second of the season and the seventh of his career.
For the season, Giles-Harris leads Duke in total tackles with 58.
ACC STATISTICAL NOTES
- Joe Giles-Harris (9.67) ranks third in the ACC in tackles per game while his 1.67 tackles for loss per contest stand tied for fourth.
- Jeremy McDuffie (1.83) and Mark Gilbert (1.67) rank one-two in the league in passes defended per game
- This week’s game between Duke and Florida State features the top two kickoff return units with the Seminoles ranking first (29.4) and Blue Devils second (27.2)
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Mark Gilbert intercepted his third pass of the season Saturday at Virginia.
THIS WEEK IN DUKE FOOTBALL HISTORY: October 8-14
October 10, 1970 - Duke 21, West Virginia 13
Unranked Duke upended No. 11 West Virginia in Morgantown behind a pair of rushing touchdowns from fullback Steve Jones, who finished with 98 yards on 22 carries. Tailback Bill Thompson aided the run game with 23 attempts for 93 yards. Duke outgained the Mountaineers, 318-273, and improved to 3-2 on the season for head coach Tom Harp.
DUKE FOOTBALL TRIVIA
Who is Duke’s lone ACC Rookie of the Year honoree?
TWEET OF THE DAY
BLUE DEVIL FAVORITES: TV Show
Keyston Fuller: Walking Dead
Victor Dimukeje: Power
Scott Jones: House of Cards
Kevin Gehsmann: Walking Dead
Derrick Tangelo: The Challenge
Danny Doyle: Rick and Morty
John Taylor: The Office
Ben Wyatt: Breaking Bad
Patrick Leitten: Game of Thrones
Coach Jim Bridge: Survivor
EYE ON THE OPPONENT
Florida State will travel to Durham with a 1-3 overall record and 1-2 ledger in ACC play.
The Seminoles are led by quarterback James Blackman, who has thrown for 602 yards and four touchdowns since taking over the starting role in place of Deondre Francois, who suffered a season-ending leg injury in Florida State’s season-opening loss to No. 1 Alabama.
Last week, Florida State suffered a 24-20 loss at home to Miami despite a 20-carry, 121-yard rushing performance by Cam Akers.
- Laken Tomlinson earned his fourth straight start for the San Francisco 49ers in their 26-23 overtime loss to the Indianapolis Colts.
- Matt Skura started at right guard for the Baltimore Ravens, who totaled 365 yards of offense and defeated the Oakland Raiders 30-17.
- Ross Cockrell picked up two tackles in the New York Giants' 27-22 setback to the Los Angeles Chargers.
- Max McCaffrey made his first career NFL reception, catching a four-yard pass from Blake Bortles in the second quarter of the Jacksonville Jaguars' 30-9 victory at the Pittsburgh Steelers.
CONTINENTAL TIRE DRVIE AROUND THE ACC
Last week’s results:
(24) N.C. State 39, (17) Louisville 25
(2) Clemson 28, Wake Forest 14
(13) Miami 24, Florida State 20
(16) Virginia Tech 23, Boston College 10
(21) Notre Dame 33, North Carolina 10
Virginia 28, Duke 21
Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13
Clemson at Syracuse
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14
Florida State at Duke
Boston College at Louisville
N.C. State at Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech at Miami
Virginia at North Carolina
THIS WEEK’S GAME
Florida State (1-3, 1-2 ACC) at Duke (4-2, 1-2 ACC)
Kickoff: 12 noon
Official Game Sponsor: BCBSNC
TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER
Ben Bennett (1980)