Duke 93, Army 73
As a Team
• Duke earned its seventh win of the year, marking the 28th time in program history the Blue Devils opened the season with seven straight wins.
• Duke moved to 10-3 against Army, extending its winning streak while facing the Black Knights to six games.
• Duke improved to 64-13 all-time when ranked No. 4 in the AP Poll.
• Duke extended its non-conference home game win-streak to an NCAA-best 113 games.
• Duke scored 90+ points against the Black Knights for the fifth time in the series history, and the fourth time in as many meetings with Army.
• Duke’s 93 points marks the fourth time this season the Blue Devils scored over 90 points in a game. Duke is averaging 90.4 points a game this season.
• Duke won by double figures for the seventh straight game, marking the first time since the 2002-03 campaign the Blue Devils opened a season with seven double-figure wins.
Closing on 1K
• With the win, Coach K improved to 990-306 all-time and 917-247 at Duke. He is 10 wins shy of becoming the first Division I men’s coach in NCAA history to record 1,000 career victories.
• The Blue Devil win pushed Coach K’s record against unranked opponents to 723-116 while at Duke.
Cook on Duke’s All-Time Charts
• Quinn Cook scored double-digit points for the seventh game this season and the 53rd time in his career, netting 13 points on 5-of-11 (.455) shooting. Cook remains in 56th on Duke’s all-time scorers list with 1,082 points.
• Cook posted two assists this afternoon to bring his career assists total to 434. Cook moved into 12th on Duke’s all-time assist list, passing Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel.
On the Offensive End
• Duke has trailed just 48 seconds through the first seven games of the season.
• Duke shot 31-of-60 (.517) from the field, marking the sixth time this season the Blue Devils shot over 50.0 percent as a team.
• Duke recorded 20+ assists for the fourth time this season and the second time in as many games.
• Duke posted 50 points in the paint against Army, the team’s fourth game this season with 40+ points in the paint. The Blue Devils have posted more points in the paint than its opposition in six of the team’s seven games this year.
• Duke has outscored teams in the first half by an average of 17.2 points a game this season.
• Duke is shooting a combined 118-of-220 (.536) from the field in the first half of games this year.
• Duke held Army to 11-of-28 (.393) from the floor in the first half, the fifth game this season Duke did not allow an opponent to shoot better than 40.0 percent from the field in the opening period.
• Tonight’s contest marked just the third game of the season that an opponent connected on five or more three pointers. Opponents are averaging just 3.6 made three-point field goals a game while facing Duke, compared to the Blue Devils’ 9.0 made three-pointers.
• Duke caused 14 turnovers, the seventh game this season the Blue Devils recorded double digit takeaways. The Blue Devils are forcing an average of 15.0 turnovers a game this season.
• For the seventh straight game, three freshmen (Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow) started, marking the first time since 1983 (Wake Forest-Feb. 19; Maryland-Feb.21; NC State-Feb.23; Georgia Tech-Feb. 26; Clemson-March 2; North Carolina-March 5; Virginia-March 11) that three or more freshmen started seven consecutive games in the Coach K era.
• Sunday’s game marked the 42nd time during the Coach K era that three freshmen started. In 1982-83, three or more freshmen started 27 games, the highest number of games with three or more freshmen starting under Coach K.
• Two or more Duke freshmen scored double digits in a game for the sixth time this season (Okafor-21, Jones-16).
• Jones dished 10 assists while not committing a single turnover in the game.