|No. 3 Duke vs. Stetson
|When: Dec. 1 | 7:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: Cameron Indoor Stadium|
|Watch Live: ESPN 2|
|Listen Live: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network|
- In the midst of a season-long five-game homestand, the third-ranked Blue Devils welcome Stetson University to Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday night.
- The teams are meeting for the 12th time, with Duke taking nine of the previous 11 games in the series.
- Stetson was the first opponent in the Mike Krzyzewski era at Duke -- a 67-49 victory by the Blue Devils at Cameron Indoor Stadium on November 29, 1980.
- Freshman RJ Barrett leads the ACC in scoring (22.7), just ahead of classmate Zion Williamson, who is second (21.3)
- Williamson leads the conference in field goal percentage (.667) and blocked shots (18) and is third in rebounding (9.0).
- With Barrett and Williamson, Duke is the only power conference school to have multiple players averaging 20.0+ points per game. They are the only freshman duo nationally to each be averaging 20.0+ points.
- Freshman Tre Jones leads the ACC in total assists (41) and assist-turnover ratio (5.13). His 5.13 ratio is 12th nationally and the best among any freshman in power conferences.
- Barrett is 22nd nationally in scoring, Williamson is 33rd in scoring, while Jones is 12th in assist-turnover ratio.
- Duke has scored 78+ points in each game this season, and the 91.6 points per game average is seventh in the NCAA.
- Duke is ranked No. 3 in the AP poll this week, marking the 400th week all-time the Blue Devils have appeared in the AP top five -- the third-most in history.
On This Date
Duke is 22-1 all-time when playing on December 1, including 4-0 against ranked opposition…The Blue Devils most recently played on this date in 2012, an 88-59 victory over Delaware.
Duke vs. Stetson
Stetson holds a special place in Duke history as the first opponent head coach Mike Krzyzewski faced in his first season as head coach…The Blue Devils defeated the Hatters, 67-49, on November 29, 1980 at Cameron Indoor Stadium…The teams traded nine home-and-home games over the next nine seasons, with the last meeting in the series coming in 1990…The Hatters long-time coach was Glenn Wilkes, a Naismith Hall of Fame inductee, that coached against Coach K in each of those nine meeting between 1980 and 1990…Stetson is a member of the ASUN Conference, coached now by former Oklahoma State player Corey Williams.
Freshmen Tre Jones is leading the ACC in assists and assist-to-turnover ratio through the first seven games of his young career…He’s coming off a turnover-free, eight-assist performance against Indiana and has committed just eight turnovers in 217 minutes this season…The early returns on Tre are strikingly similar to the early-season numbers by his brother, Tyus, who was the freshman guard on Duke’s 2015 national championship team…Tre, Tyus, Bobby Hurley (1991) and Trevon Duval (2017) are the only Duke players in history with 40+ assists through a season’s first seven games.
Freshman Zion Williamson stuffed the stat sheet again in the Indiana win, scoring 25 points with six rebounds, four assists, two steals and two blocks…He became just the fourth player (fifth instance) at Duke to go for 25+ points, 4+ rebounds, 4+ assists, 1+ steal, 1+ block in a game, joining Danny Ferry (twice), Shane Battier and Kyrie Irving.