NEW YORK, N.Y. – Duke University women’s basketball senior Oderah Chidom was selected 31st overall by the Atlanta Dream in the third round of the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) Draft Thursday evening at Samsung 837 in New York, N.Y. Chidom becomes the 21st Blue Devil to be selected in the WNBA Draft.
Chidom, who hails from Oakland, Calif., appeared in 122 games in a Blue Devil uniform, while making 55 starts. She holds career averages of 7.9 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.3 blocked shots. The 6-4 post holds the sixth-highest field goal percentage in Duke history with a 55.5 ledger. Her 153 blocked shots ranks sixth as well. Chidom played some of her best basketball in the postseason holding averages of 12.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in four NCAA Tournament contests.
“I loved my time here at Duke,” said Chidom. “Now I’m excited to see where the next chapter in my life will take me.”
As a senior, Chidom started 23-of-34 contests. She averaged 8.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 1.5 assists and 1.1 steals. Her 2.0 blocks per game mark ranked second in the ACC, while her 53.9 field goal percentage ranked eighth. She notched a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds in her return to her home state of California against Long Beach State. Chidom closed her career totaling 11 points in the NCAA Tournament against Hampton and Oregon.
Over her four years, Chidom helped Duke to a record of 92-30 and a 75.4 winning percentage.
Chidom was one of seven student-athletes from the ACC taken in the 2017 WNBA Draft. Washington’s Kelsey Plum was the No. 1 selection by the San Antonio Stars.
Since Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie joined the Blue Devils, a total of 11 Duke standouts have been drafted by the WNBA in those 10 years.
Complete results for WNBA Draft 2017 presented by State Farm are below:
1. San Antonio Stars: Kelsey Plum, Washington, guard
2. Chicago Sky: Alaina Coates, South Carolina, center (pick from Washington)
3. Dallas Wings: Evelyn Akhator, Kentucky, forward/center
4. Dallas Wings: Allisha Gray, South Carolina, guard (pick from Connecticut via Los Angeles)
5. San Antonio Stars: Nia Coffey, Northwestern, forward (pick from Phoenix)
6. Washington Mystics: Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland, guard (pick from Seattle)
7. Atlanta Dream: Brittney Sykes, Syracuse, guard
8. Connecticut Sun: Brionna Jones, Maryland, center (pick from Indiana)
9. Chicago Sky: Tori Jankoska, Michigan State, guard
10. Dallas Wings: Kaela Davis, South Carolina, guard (pick from New York)
11. Los Angeles Sparks: Sydney Wiese, Oregon State, guard (pick from Los Angeles via Dallas)
12. Minnesota Lynx: Alexis Jones, Baylor, guard
13. Connecticut Sun: Shayla Cooper, Ohio State, forward (pick from San Antonio via Phoenix)
14. New York Liberty: Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame, guard (pick from Dallas)
15. Seattle Storm: Alexis Peterson, Syracuse, guard (pick from Washington)
16. Connecticut Sun: Leticia Romero, Florida State, guard
17. Indiana Fever: Erica McCall, Stanford, forward (pick from Phoenix)
18. Washington Mystics: Jennie Simms, Old Dominion, guard (pick from Seattle)
19. Atlanta Dream: Jordan Reynolds, Tennessee, guard
20. Indiana Fever: Feyonda Fitzgerald, Temple, guard
21. Chicago Sky: Chantel Osahor, Washington, forward/center
22. Indiana Fever: Ronni Williams, Florida, forward (pick from New York via Atlanta)
23. Dallas Wings: Breanna Lewis, Kansas State, center (pick from Los Angeles)
24. Minnesota Lynx: Lisa Berkani, France, guard
25. San Antonio Stars: Schaquilla Nunn, Tennessee, forward
26. Dallas Wings: Saniya Chong, Connecticut, guard
27. Washington Mystics: Mehryn Kraker, Wisconsin-Green Bay, forward
28. Connecticut Sun: Jessica January, DePaul, guard
29. Phoenix Mercury: Alexis Prince, Baylor, guard
30. Seattle Storm: Lanay Montgomery, West Virginia, center
31. Atlanta Dream: Oderah Chidom, Duke, forward
32. Indiana Fever: Adrienne Motley, Miami (Fla.), guard
33. Chicago Sky: Makayla Epps, Kentucky, guard
34. New York Liberty: Kai James, Florida State, center
35. Los Angeles Sparks: Saicha Grant-Allen, Dayton, center
36. Minnesota Lynx: Tahlia Tupaea, Australia, guard
- Stats (HTML)