UNLV LADY REBELS (1-5) AT DUKE BLUE DEVILS (5-3)
Game 9 • Thursday, Dec. 6 • 7:00 PM (ET)
Durham, N.C. • Cameron Indoor Stadium (9,314)
ACC Network Extra
Tickets: www.GoDuke.com (1-877-375-3853)
Live Stats: www.GoDuke.com
Radio: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
(620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, www.GoDuke.com, TuneIn app)
Radio Talent: Chris Edwards (PXP), Rebecca Greenwell (Color)
TV/Video: ACC Network Extra
TV Talent: Ryan Craig (PXP), Debbie Taylor (Color)
Duke Head Coach: Joanne P. McCallie (Northwestern, ‘87)
Record: 618-231 (27)
UNLV Head Coach: Kathy Oliver (UNLV, ‘81)
Record: 58-163 (11)
Setting the Scene...
The Duke women’s basketball team will continue its three-game homestand Thursday, Dec. 6 as the Blue Devils (5-3) host UNLV (1-5) at 7 p.m., in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
The game will be broadcasted live on ACC Network Extra with Ryan Craig (PXP) and Debbie Taylor (Color) calling the action. It will also be carried on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network via 620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, www.GoDuke.com, TuneIn app and www.GoDuke.com with Chris Edwards (PXP) and Rebecca Greenwell (Color) on the air beginning at 6:45 p.m. (ET).
What is Next?...
Duke will close a three-game homestand Sunday, Dec. 9 as the Blue Devils host nationally ranked South Carolina at 2 p.m.
• Duke is in a stretch where the Blue Devils will play three straight home games and five out of the next six contests in Cameron Indoor Stadium. This comes after opening the season with six out of seven games on the road.
• Leaonna Odom has posted four double-doubles in eight games to open the season. Her four double-doubles ranks tied third in the ACC.
• Duke has held its last two opponents (Wisconsin - 53; Marist - 56) to season low points. The Blue Devil defense has held those opponents to only 54.5 points, 35.5 percent shooting, 26.7 percent from downtown and only 31.0 rebounds a game.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Leaonna Odom ranks ninth in the ACC in field goal percentage with a 55.9 percentage, but is the only player in the league to attempt over 100 field goals and rank in the top 15 in percentage. Odom’s 57 field goals made ranks fourth in the ACC.
• The Blue Devils are coming off totaling a season-high 13 steals and have notched 10 or more steals in six of eight games. Duke ranks fourth in the ACC with a 10.5 steals per game average.
• Duke has won 17 straight contests in the month of December in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• Leaonna Odom is one of two players in the ACC averaging at least 16.5 points and 8.5 rebounds.
• Senior Faith Suggs saw action in her 100th career contest against Marist.
• The Blue Devils moved to 10-2 all-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and the ACC won the challenge for the 11th straight year, 8-6.
• Freshman Onome Akinbode-James has hit 12-of-24 field goals the last four games.
• Duke will feature over a two inch height advantage when the Blue Devils and Lady Rebels hit the hardwood Thursday. UNLV features a 70.6 average height with seven players standing 6-1 or taller. Duke owns a 73.21 average height with 10 players 6-0 or taller.
• The Blue Devils allowed a school-record 16 three-pointers against Missouri in the last outing as the Tigers hit 16-of-34 from downtown.
• The Blue Devils have won 33 out of its last 35 home contests in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• Rayah Craig opened her Duke career with 13 points as she scored 11-of-her-13 in the second half at Northwestern. It marked the third-most points scored by a rookie in her debut under Coach P at Duke -- Rebecca Greenwell 17 on Nov. 16, 2014, Alexis Rogers 14 on Nov. 13, 2009).
• There are 26 returning double-digit scorers in the ACC in 2018-19 with every ACC team except for Pitt having at least one. Notre Dame and Syracuse have the most with four each. Duke features only one (Haley Gorecki). Seven ACC teams return two or more.
• The 2018-19 Duke team is tied for the second youngest Duke team based on percentage of freshman and sophomores (69.23%). The 2011-12 was 75.0 percent freshmen and sophomores to lead the way. The nine freshmen and sophomores are tied for the most under Coach P at Duke (2015-16 and 2011-12).
• Duke was one of the best teams in the nation a year ago in opponent paint scoring holding teams to only 19.97 points a game. This ranked as the second-lowest for the Blue Devils over the last seven years (19.06 in 2014-15).
• In terms of the youth of the ACC, Duke’s 69.23 percent of freshmen and sophomores is the fourth-highest -- Georgia Tech (76.92), Boston College (75.0) and Florida State (72.73).
• Duke returns just 39.7 percent of its scoring from the 2017-18 season. It is the lowest returning scoring percentage since the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. The Blue Devils lost 43.7 points and 60.3 percent of scoring. It is the most since the 2013-14 season, which Duke lost 66.9 percent of its scoring.
• Duke graduated two of the best scorer’s in Blue Devil history – Rebecca Greenwell (1,874 points) and Lexie Brown (1,263 points in two years). They were one of the most dynamic scoring duos in the nation the last two years and Duke will have a much different look in 2018-19 without those guards.
• All 29 of Duke’s 2018-19 contests will be aired on some type of television between ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN2, RSN-TV, PAC 12 Network and Big Ten Network.
• Follow @DukeWBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women’s basketball. Also, “Like” Duke Women’s Basketball on Facebook to get the latest videos, pictures and more. DWB is on Instagram at dukewbb.
A Look at UNLV...
UNLV enters the contest with a 1-5 record and will play on the road for only the second time this season. The Lady Rebels have been led by Katie Powell (14.2 points, 12 treys), Jordyn Bell (10.0 points, 4.2 rebounds) and Nikki Wheatley (8.7 points, 16 assists) on the season. Powell was injured in the last game and will miss the contest Thursday.
The Series with UNLV...
Duke and UNLV will meet for the first time in the two programs’ history Thursday, when the Rebels travel to Durham. UNLV played to a 7-5 record on the road last season.
This will be Coach P’s first time coaching against UNLV.
Duke Versus the Mountain West Conference...
Albeit a small sample size, the Blue Devils are undefeated in matchups against the Mountain West Conference, having posted a 5-0 record to this point – Colorado State (1-0), San Diego State (2-0), San Jose State (1-0), and Wyoming (1-0).
Coach P has a 3-1 record against Mountain West teams in her career and a 2-0 record at Duke, most recently a 63-40 home victory against Wyoming last season.
Boykin Expected to Make Season Debut...
Duke redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin is expected to make her 2018-19 debut Thursday against UNLV, which will come 359 days since she last played a game.
Boykin suffered a torn ACL in her knee on Dec. 10, 2017 against Winthrop and had to undergo her third ACL surgery of her hoops career.
Boykin received a medical redshirt for this past season and will have four years of eligibility remaining.
She was cleared to play against Marist, but Coach P didn’t feel like it would be a good position to put her in with the game being so close.
Big Down the Stretch...
Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki has scored 47 of her 137 points in the fourth quarter this season. She tallied 10 points against Washington, Missouri and Wisconsin. In those three games, Gorecki scored 30 of Duke’s 60 points.
Leaonna Odom has scored 40 of her 132 points in the fourth quarter as well, while hitting 64.0 percent of her field goals. Overall, Odom and Gorecki have scored 87 of Duke’s 142 fourth quarter points in the fourth quarter.
At Home in Cameron...
In two games at home this season, the Blue Devils are 2-0 and are averaging 72.5 points a contest. The Blue Devils have hit 48.3 percent from the field and are featuring an +11.0 rebounding margin.
Leaonna Odom has averaged 21.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2.5 steals and 2.0 assists at home. She has hit 64.3 percent of her field goals.
Haley Gorecki has averaged 14.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.5 steals and 4.0 assists.
Jade Williams owns averages of 9.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.0 blocks in two home games.
In the NCAA Stats...
Duke currently ranks 49th nationally with a 45.0 field goal percentage and 54th with a 10.5 steals per game average.
Haley Gorecki ranks 29th in steals per game (3.25), 15th in three-point field goals attempted (67), 33rd in minutes played per game (36.51) and 13th in steals (26). Leaonna Odom ranks 24th in double-doubles (4) and 49th in field goal percentage (55.9).
Gorecki Posting Impressive Numbers...
Duke redshirt junior Haley Gorecki is one of two players nationally and the only in Power Five conferences averaging over 17.0 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 3.3 steals on the season
Valerie Higgins of Pacific is the only other player nationally to post these numbers.
Gorecki currently ranks fifth in the ACC in scoring (17.1), second in steals (3.3) and first in minutes played (36.8).
Akinbode-James Coming Up Big...
After being limited to playing time to open her collegiate career due to foul trouble, freshman Onome Akinbode-James has stepped up big time against Missouri and Wisconsin.
Seeing action in a season-high 26 and 29 minutes against Missouri and Wisconsin, Akinbode-James grabbed a total of 25 boards in those games.
Akinbode-James averaged 9.5 points and 12.5 rebounds in those games, while hitting 47.1 percent of her field goals. This included her first collegiate double-double at Wisconsin with 14 points and 14 rebounds. She had eight points and 11 rebounds in the first half at Wisconsin.
Her 14 rebounds against Wisconsin was the most by any freshman in the ACC this season. To close the Gulf Coast Showcase, she pulled down a then career-high 11 rebounds against Missouri.
Adams Sparks off Bench...
Sophomore Jayda Adams provided a big spark off the bench at Wisconsin scoring a season-high five points and blocking a career-high two shots in a season-high 19 minutes.
Adams had a big block at the end of the first half as time expired and drained her third three-pointer of the season in the second half during a key stretch.
Adams added another big three-pointer against Marist in the third quarter to spark the Blue Devils.
Over the last two games, Adams has played 30 minutes and hit 3-of-5 field goals. She has drained 2-of-4 treys, had two blocks and one steal without any turnovers.
The duo of Haley Gorecki and Leaonna Odom currently stand as the second-highest scoring duo in the ACC --
Scoring Duo Points
A.Ogunbowale/J.Young (ND) 40.0
H.Gorecki/L.Odom (DU) 33.5
A.Durr/S.Fuehring (LOU) 32.4
K.Gillespie/N.Woolfolk (FSU) 30.7
E.Penna/I.Raca (WFU) 28.8
With its young team, Duke continues to suffer foul trouble early in the season.
In the first half, Leaonna Odom had two fouls at Maine, vs. Elon and at Wisconsin, Faith Suggs had three fouls in Washington and Ball State along with two fouls at Wisconsin, Onome Akinbode-James had two fouls against Northwestern, Maine, Ball State, Missouri, Wisconsin and Marist and Jade Williams had two fouls versus Elon, Washington, Ball State and Wisconsin.