Setting the Scene...
One of the best rivalries in college basketball will renew Thursday, Feb. 7 as the Duke women’s basketball team (10-11, 2-7 ACC) will travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to take on North Carolina (14-9, 5-4) at Carmichael Arena with a tip time set for 7:00 p.m.
Thursday’s contest will be aired live on ACC Network Extra with Dean Linke (PXP) and Chris Hooks (Color) calling the game. It will also be carried on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network via 620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, TuneIn app and www.GoDuke.com with Chris Edwards (PXP) and Rebecca Greenwell (Color) on the air beginning at 6:45 p.m. (ET).
What is Next?...
Duke will remain on the road as the Blue Devils travel to Charlottesville, Va., to take on Virginia at 2 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 10.
• Over the last five contests, Haley Gorecki has averaged 21.0 points, 8.8 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 3.0 steals. She scored 26 points versus Syracuse, 24 at Boston College and 25 points versus Florida State, while notching a triple-double versus Pitt with 16 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.
• Jade Williams is coming off totaling 15 points, eight rebounds, three assists, three steals and three blocks against Pittsburgh. She is one of only three players in the ACC to notch 15-8-3-3-3 in a game in 2018-19 (Brianna Turner of Notre Dame, Emily Engstler of Syracuse).
• Haley Gorecki is averaging 21.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 4.0 steals on the season against ranked opponents. She had a season-high 26 points against Syracuse. Gorecki is the only ACC player to boast an average of 20.0 points and 6.0 rebounds against ranked opponents.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Miela Goodchild ranks eighth nationally with a 47.1 three-point field goal percentage. She has the second-highest percentage by a freshman behind Virginia Tech’s Dara Mabrey (48.7).
• Haley Gorecki has averaged 22.0 points, 11.3 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 3.3 steals over last three games. Gorecki notched back-to-back double-doubles and then a triple-double versus Pitt.
• Miela Goodchild currently ranks third in the ACC with a 47.1 three-point field goal percentage and ninth with a 2.3 three-pointers per game average.
• Forced to play more of a point guard role since the injury to Mikayla Boykin, Leaonna Odom dished a career-high nine assists at Boston College.
• Haley Gorecki’s 63 steals on the season ranks tied 15th nationally.
• Jade Williams drained her first collegiate three-pointer on her first attempt of the season at Boston College.
• Haley Gorecki played a career-high 50 minutes at Boston College. It marked only the second game in Duke history that a player has seen action in 50+ minutes. The last time was March 18, 1995 against Alabama. Four Blue Devils played 51 or more minutes in the contest, including a school-record 60 by Jennifer Scanlon. Miela Goodchild’s 49 minutes was a Duke freshman record.
• Haley Gorecki leads the ACC for most double-doubles by a guard with six.
• Miela Goodchild tied a Duke freshman record with 11 three-pointers attempted in a single game versus Wake Forest. Her 104 three-pointers attempted on the season ranks tied third on the Blue Devil freshman charts.
• Redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin had surgery Jan. 22, after tearing her right ACL in the Miami contest on Jan. 17. She will miss the remainder of the 2018-19 campaign.
• Haley Gorecki scored 315 points over her first 37 games as a Blue Devil. So far this season in 21 games, she has scored 366 points.
• Duke faced four ranked teams out of the first eight ACC contests.
• Haley Gorecki’s eight games with 20 or more points ranks fifth in the ACC.
• Sophomore Jade Williams tied a career high at FSU with 17 points. She hit 7-of-9 field goals and grabbed four rebounds.
• Senior Faith Suggs leads the Blue Devils with eight charges taken on the season and 12 over her four year career. She has taken seven charges over the last 11 games.
• Duke’s 9.8 steals per game in ACC play ranks third. Clemson leads the league with a 11.9 average. Haley Gorecki ranks first with a 3.2 steals per game average in ACC action.
• Duke held Wisconsin (53), Marist (56), UNLV (38), FGCU (41) and NC State (63) to season low points.
• Duke’s Haley Gorecki, Syracuse’s Tiana Mangakahia and Notre Dame’s Jackie Young are the only players in the ACC to have a triple-double this season.
• Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki and freshman Miela Goodchild have combined to drain 87 three-pointers on the season.
• All 29 of Duke’s 2018-19 contests will be aired on some type of television between ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN2, RSN-TV, PAC 12 Network and Big Ten Network.
• Follow @DukeWBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women’s basketball. Also, “Like” Duke Women’s Basketball on Facebook to get the latest videos, pictures and more. DWB is on Instagram at dukewbb.
A Look at UNC...
North Carolina enters the contest with a 14-9 overall and 5-4 league mark, including a four-game winning streak. So far this season, UNC holds an 8-2 record at home. Janelle Bailey (16.6 points, 8.9 rebounds), Paris Kea (16.3 points, 35 treys), Sephanie Watts (16.1 points, 5.6 rebounds) and Shayla Bennett (10.0 points, 90 assists) have paced the Tar Heels this season.
The Series with UNC..
Duke and North Carolina will meet for the 98th time in the series history with the Tar Heels leading the series, 50-47. In games played in Chapel Hill, the Blue Devils have totaled a 14-28 mark, but have won three out of the last four. Last year, UNC came back and won a 92-86 overtime contest. Overall, Duke has won eight out of the last nine games with the Tar Heels. Coach P has totaled a 17-11 overall record versus North Carolina.
Duke Players Versus UNC..
In her only appearance against UNC, Haley Gorecki scored a career-high 29 points as she drained 7-of-15 three-pointers in an overtime loss in Chapel Hill a year ago. She added nine rebounds, six assists and one steal in 41 minutes.
Triple-Double by Gorecki...
For only the eighth time in school history a Blue Devil registered a triple-double as Haley Gorecki totaled 16 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists against Pitt on Feb. 3. It was the first triple-double since 2014 (Ka’lia Johnson) and the first triple-double for a Duke player in ACC play since 2013 (Chelsea Gray). Other Blue Devils to total a triple-double were Jasmine Thomas, Monique Currie and Katie Meier. Gorecki is one of 20 players nationally to total a triple-double in 2018-19.
Over the last two games, Duke has hit 10 in each of those contests. The Blue Devils have hit 20-of-44 treys in those games for a 45.5 three-point field goal percentage. Duke had not hit 10 three-pointers in a game all season and over the previous four games the Blue Devils had hit only 20 three-pointers (20-of-55).
Against ACC Foes...
Haley Gorecki is playing some of her best basketball against ACC opponents averaging 18.6 points, 4.8 assists, 7.8 rebounds, 3.2 steals. In the ACC rankings, she is second in scoring, tied eighth in rebounding, third in assists, first in steals. Gorecki became the first Duke player in school history to register 26 points, 10 rebounds and six steals in an ACC contest against Syracuse.
Goodchild Nets Career High...
Freshman Miela Goodchild scored a career-high 23 points at Boston College as she hit a career-high 5-of-6 treys for an 80.0 percentage.
She backed that up with 20 points on 6-of-9 treys against Pitt. Over the last two contests, Goodchild has averaged 21.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists. She hit 11-of-15 treys for a 73.3 percentage. Her six three-pointers made against Pitt matched Rebecca Greenwell’s Duke freshman record.
She has scored double-digits in four straight contests. During those games, she has averaged 16.0 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists. She has hit 16-of-30 treys during that span for a 53.3 percentage. Goodchild is the seventh Duke freshman to post 20+ points in consecutive games and the fifth to do it against ACC opponents. The last Blue Devil to accomplish this was Azura Stevens in 2015. No Duke freshman has ever totaled three straight games with 20+ points.
Duke’s offense has taken off the last two games scoring 90 and 74 points. The Blue Devils have averaged 82.0 points, while hitting 44.8 percent from the field and 45.5 percent from downtown.
Jade Williams has totaled double-digit scoring in back-to-back games for the first time in her career. Williams notched 15 points at Boston College and versus Pitt.
She has averaged 15.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.5 steals, 2.0 assists and 1.5 blocked shots over the last two games. Williams has hit 13-of-23 field goals (56.5%) from the field.