DUKE BLUE DEVILS (9-10, 1-6) AT BOSTON COLLEGE (13-7, 2-5)
Game 20 • Thursday, Jan. 31 • 7:00 PM
Chestnut Hill, Mass. • Silvio O. Conte Forum (8,606)
ACC Network Extra
Tickets: www.bceagles.com (617-552-4622)
Live Stats: www.GoDuke.com
Radio: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
(620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, www.GoDuke.com, TuneIn app)
Radio Talent: Chris Edwards (PXP), Rebecca Greenwell (Color)
TV/Video: ACC Network Extra
TV Talent: Bill Spaulding (PXP), Kerri Shields (Color)
Duke Head Coach: Joanne P. McCallie (Northwestern, ‘87)
Record: 622-238 (27)
BCHead Coach: Joanna Bernabei-McNamee (West Liberty, ‘97)
Record: 139-72 (7)
Setting the Scene...
After being at home for the last two contests, the Duke women’s basketball team (9-10, 1-6 ACC) will hit the road for Chestnut Hill, Mass., this week as the Blue Devils take on Boston College (13-7, 2-5) Thursday, Jan. 31 at 7 p.m., at the Silvio O. Conte Form.
Thursday’s contest will be aired live on ACC Network Extra with Bill Spaulding (PXP) and Kerri Shields (Color) calling the game. It will also be carried on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network via 620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, TuneIn app and www.GoDuke.com with Chris Edwards (PXP) and Rebecca Greenwell (Color) on the air beginning at 6:45 p.m. (ET).
What is Next?...
Duke will return home to host Pitt Sunday, Feb. 3 in Cameron at 2 p.m., and the game will be aired on ACC Network Extra. It will be Duke’s annual Play4Kay game and all fans are encouraged to wear pink.
• Haley Gorecki is averaging 21.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 4.0 steals on the season against ranked opponents. She had a season-high 26 points against Syracuse. Gorecki is the only ACC player to boast an average of 20.0 points and 6.0 rebounds against ranked opponents.
• Thursday’s game will feature three of the top freshmen three-point shooters in the ACC with Miela Goodchild (Duke), Mikayla Dickins (Boston College) and Marnelle Garraud (Boston College). Goodchild has drained 38 treys, while Dickins (36) and Garraud (28) have combined for 64.
• Over the last three contests, Haley Gorecki has averaged 21.7 points, 6.7 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 3.7 steals. She scored 26 points versus Syracuse and 25 points versus Florida State.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Haley Gorecki is currently in a five-way tie for most double-doubles by a guard in the ACC with four.
• Four different players from Australia will step on the court Thursday at Boston College with Miela Goodchild (Duke), Taylor Ortlepp (BC), Georgia Pineau (BC) and Lana Hollingsworth (BC).
• Haley Gorecki owns 59 steals on the season, which ranks tied 16th nationally. Her 3.1 steals per game average also ranks 17th nationally.
• Miela Goodchild tied a Duke freshman record with 11 three-pointers attempted in a single game versus Wake Forest. Her 89 three-pointers attempted on the season ranks seventh on the Blue Devil freshman charts and needs eight more to move into a tie for sixth.
• Redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin had surgery Jan. 22, after tearing her right ACL in the Miami contest on Jan. 17. She will miss the remainder of the 2018-19 campaign.
• Haley Gorecki scored 315 points over her first 37 games as a Blue Devil. So far this season in 19 games, she has scored 326 points.
• Duke has faced four ranked teams out of the first seven ACC contests.
• Haley Gorecki’s seven games with 20 or more points ranks tied fourth in the ACC.
• Through 19 games, sophomore Jade Williams has scored 141 points, which is more than she scored in 33 games as a rookie last season.
• Duke has been outrebounded in each of the last five games and a total of 10 times this season.
• Duke opened ACC play 0-5 for the first time since the 1992-93 campaign, which was Gail Goestenkors first season with the Blue Devils. That 1992-93 team opened ACC play 0-9.
• Sophomore Jade Williams tied a career high at FSU with 17 points. She hit 7-of-9 field goals and grabbed four rebounds.
• Senior Faith Suggs leads the Blue Devils with eight charges taken on the season and 12 over her four year career. She has taken seven charges over the last nine games.
• The Blue Devils faced back-to-back top 10 and undefeated teams to open ACC play for the first time in program history. It marked the first time since the 1990-91 season that the Blue Devils took on back-to-back top 10 teams to open ACC play (No. 1 Virginia and No. 3 NC State).
• Duke’s 9.9 steals per game in ACC play ranks second. Clemson leads the league with a 12.1 average. Haley Gorecki ranks first with a 3.6 steals per game average in ACC action.
• Leaonna Odom currently ranks 10th in the ACC in field goal percentage (54.6), 16th in rebounding (6.8) and 21st in scoring (13.7).
• Duke held Wisconsin (53), Marist (56), UNLV (38), FGCU (41) and NC State (63) to season low points.
• Duke’s Haley Gorecki, Notre Dame’s Arike Ogunbowale, Syracuse’s Tiana Mangakahia, Miami’s Laura Cornelius and Notre Dame’s Jackie Young are the only players in the ACC to have both a 10+ rebound and 10+ assist contest this season.
• Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki and freshman Miela Goodchild have combined to drain 71 three-pointers on the season.
• Duke returned just 39.7 percent of its scoring from the 2017-18 season. It is the lowest returning scoring percentage since the conclusion of the 2013-14 season. The Blue Devils lost 43.7 points and 60.3 percent of scoring. It is the most since the 2013-14 season, which Duke lost 66.9 percent of its scoring.
• Duke graduated two of the best scorer’s in Blue Devil history – Rebecca Greenwell (1,874 points) and Lexie Brown (1,263 points in two years). They were one of the most dynamic scoring duos in the nation the last two years and Duke will have a much different look in 2018-19 without those guards.
• All 29 of Duke’s 2018-19 contests will be aired on some type of television between ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN2, RSN-TV, PAC 12 Network and Big Ten Network.
• Follow @DukeWBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women’s basketball. Also, “Like” Duke Women’s Basketball on Facebook to get the latest videos, pictures and more. DWB is on Instagram at dukewbb.
A Look at Boston College...
Boston College enters Thursday’s contest with a 13-7 overall and 2-5 league mark under first year head coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee. The Eagles have been led by Emma Guy (13.1 points, 6.9 rebounds), Makayla Dickens (11.3 points, 36 treys), Taylor Ortlepp (11.0 points, 49 treys), Georgia Pineau (9.5 points, 6.1 rebounds) and Marnelle Garraud (9.4 points, 28 treys).
The Series with Boston College..
Duke and Boston College will meet for the 19th time in school history. The Blue Devils lead the series, 15-3 and feature a three-game winning streak. In games played in Chestnut Hill, Duke owns a 7-2 mark and has won two in a row. Coach P has totaled a 12-6 record versus Boston College over her career.
Against ACC Foes...
Haley Gorecki is playing some of her best basketball against ACC opponents averaging 18.1 points, 4.1 assists, 6.6 rebounds, 3.6 steals. In the ACC rankings, she is tied third in scoring, tied 19th in rebounding, sixth in assists, tied 14th in free throw percentage (77.5) and first in steals. Gorecki became the first Duke player in school history to register 26 points, 10 rebounds and six assists in an ACC contest against Syracuse.