DURHAM, N.C. – It has been 1,383 days since an announcement was made and Duke Softball came to life. On Saturday, Sept. 30, that dream officially becomes reality as the Duke Blue Devils will take the field for the first time in program history to face the NC State Wolfpack at the Duke Softball Stadium.
First pitch is set for 4:01 p.m. ET, with the broadcast coming on ACC Network Extra. David Shumate, John Roth and Art Chase will have the call for the 10-inning affair. Fans can access the broadcast through WatchESPN.com or the ESPN app.
The Blue Devils are led by head coach Marissa Young, who was hired on July 29, 2015, will lead her squad of 18 players into Saturday’s historic contest. Duke’s roster is comprised of 12 freshmen (five redshirt), two grad students, two juniors and two sophomores (one redshirt).
“We’re really excited to finally get on the field and play. We’ve worked extremely hard day in and day out and for this day to finally be here is a dream come true,” Young said. “I know that most teams view the Fall as just the offseason but for our program the Fall means much more.
“September 30th isn’t just a practice game. It’s the first time in Duke Softball history that Team One takes the field to compete. The first game in our stadium, first time on the field in uniform in front of our fans means so much. It’s just the beginning, but one we are excited for this game and working hard to be a team that the Duke family will be proud of!”
Festivities will begin at 2:30 p.m., with Fan Fest, which will include inflatables, face painters, a DJ and more. Early arriving fans will receive a commemorative Duke Softball poster, Duke Softball cup and a free popcorn voucher at the marketing table located at the right field entrance off of Brodie Gym Drive. Fans can also sign up for the Duke Softball game day raffle and have a chance to win prizes such as a Duke softball t-shirt and tickets to Duke football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball events.
Pregame ceremonies will begin at 3:50 p.m., with team introductions. Young, Vice President and Director of Athletics Dr. Kevin White and President Dr. Vincent Price will take the field for a ribbon cutting ceremony, followed by the ceremonial first pitch thrown by Dr. Price.
More information on parking, pregame festivities can be found below.
Schedule of Events…
Festivities for Saturday will begin at 2:30 p.m., with Fan Fest, which will include inflatables, face painters, a DJ and more.
Fan Fest: 2:30-3:30 p.m.
Team Introductions: 3:50 p.m.
National Anthem: 3:55 p.m.
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony with Marissa Young and Dr. Kevin White: 3:56 p.m.
Ceremonial First Pitch with President Vincent Price: 3:59 p.m.
First Pitch/Balloon Release: 4:01 p.m.
Saturday’s contest will be live streamed on ACC Network Extra, with David Shumate and Art Chase on the call. Fans can access the broadcast through WatchESPN.com, the ESPN app or by clicking the link below.
Duke vs. NC State ACC Network Extra Broadcast
Duke will provide live statistics for Saturday’s contest against NC State, which can be accessed by clicking the link below.
Duke vs. NC State Live Stats
Game Day Parking Information
Game day parking is available only in the designated university parking lots listed below. Please do not park in the Whole Foods or Shops at Erwin Mill parking lot as shopping centers will ticket & tow at the owner’s expense. There is no street parking in the neighborhood across the street from Duke Softball Stadium.
- General Public Parking - Free parking is available at the R1 Lot on Hillsborough Road (GPS Address: 2180 Hillsborough Road). The R1 Lot is an 8-minute walk to Duke Softball Stadium – sidewalks and crosswalks are available along the designated game day pedestrian route along Hillsborough Road and West Markham Ave. Directional signage will be posted to direct guests to/from the parking area to Duke Softball Stadium.
- Accessible Parking for Guests with Disabilities – is available in the designated spaces in the Bivins Lot, located above the Duke Softball Stadium on Brodie Gym Drive next to the Bivins Building. The parking lot is located on the right after turning on Brodie Gym Drive. Directional signage will be posted to direct guests to/from the parking area to Duke Softball Stadium.
- Accessible Drop-Off/Pick-Up Point - An accessible drop-off and pick-up point for persons with disabilities is available in front of Brodie Recreation Center on Brodie Gym Drive.
- Tailgating – is available in the grass areas around Duke Softball Stadium. No vehicles may be parked in this area at any time. Tailgating is permitted in the R1 Lot – guests must clean up and properly dispose of all trash/recycling upon departure.
- Parking Disclaimer – Duke University assumes no responsibility for loss through fire, theft, collision, or otherwise to the car or contents. Vehicles are parked at the owner's risk. Please lock your vehicle.
- Parking Emergency Information - In case of emergency please dial 919-684-2444 for Duke Police Emergency Dispatch or 911 for Durham County. Duke Police will be the primary responder on-campus for emergency calls. Durham Police will be the primary responder off-campus for emergency calls. If an emergency occurs and authorities are contacted, please designate someone in your party to help direct emergency personnel to the emergency location.
Game Day Information
For All Duke Softball Game Day Information – please visit www.goduke.com/gameday and review the Duke Softball A-Z Guide.
GPS & Map Information
Duke Softball Stadium
4 Brodie Gym Dr. Durham, NC 27708
Bivins Lot (GPS Address: 4 Brodie Gym Drive)
Directions to the Bivins Lot
General Public Parking
R1 Lot (GPS Address: 2180 Hillsborough Road)
Directions to the R1 Lot
Accessibility Accommodations and Information
Please find below a list of disability services currently provided at Duke Softball Stadium. Prior to game day, please feel free to reach out to our disabilities coordinators at 919-668-6213 to help make arrangements for your visit or if you have any special needs, questions, or concerns regarding our accessibility and accommodations.
- Accessible Parking for Guests with Disabilities – is available in the designated spaces in the Bivins Lot, located above the Duke Softball Stadium on Brodie Gym Drive next to the Bivins Building. The parking lot is located on the right after turning on Brodie Gym Drive.
- Accessible Drop-Off/Pick-Up Point - An accessible drop-off and pick-up point for guests with disabilities is available in the Bivins Lot, located above the Duke Softball Stadium on Brodie Gym Drive next to the Bivins Building
- Accessible Entrance – is available at the right field gate entrance on the sidewalk from Brodie Gym Drive to the stadium. This entrance leads directly to the stadium concourse above the grandstand. Directional signage will be in place from the Bivins Lot to the gate to help direct guests to this entrance.
- Accessible Seating Areas – is available at the top of the grandstand on the 1st and 3rd base lines. Space is available for assistive devices.
- Accessible Restrooms – A gender neutral accessible family restroom is available on the stadium concourse on the back side of the press box. Additional men’s and women’s accessible restrooms are located adjacent to the Duke Softball Stadium on the Williams Field at Jack Katz Stadium concourse. An additional gender neutral accessible family restroom is available on ground level behind the grandstand behind home plate.
- Assistive Listening Devices – are available upon request. Guests who need an assistive listening device should contact the game manager located behind home plate.
For more information on Duke softball, follow the Blue Devils on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram by searching for “DukeSoftball”. You can also find all-access coverage of all Duke athletic programs on SnapChat by searching for “dukeathletics”.