DURHAM, N.C. – In their final tune-up before entering ACC play this weekend, the Duke Blue Devils (9-11) head down to the road to face the Elon Phoenix (10-6-1) Wednesday night at the Hunt Softball Park in Elon, N.C.
First pitch for the contest is set for 4 p.m. ET. A live stream, as well as live statistics, will be provided by Elon and can be found at GoDuke.com/softball. Fans can also follow along with the action on the Duke softball Twitter account by searching "@DukeSoftball".
Duke Blue Devils (9-11)
Roster | Coaches | Statistics | Schedule & Results | Game Notes
Elon Phoenix (10-6-1)
Roster | Coaches | Statistics | Schedule & Results
| Duke at Elon
|When: March 6 | 4:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: Elon, N.C.|
|Venue: Hunt Softball Park|
Need To Know
- Duke takes on Elon in its final tune-up before opening ACC play this weekend against North Carolina. The Blue Devils are 1-0 against the Phoenix, earning a 1-0 win last year in Durham.
- The Blue Devils are coming off a successful 3-1 weekend in the Duke Invitational, where they defeated Kansas, Ohio and Charleston Southern.
- It was a weekend to remember for Reilly Metzger, who turned in a 5-for-11 (.455) showing during the Duke Invitational. Metzger, who drove in six runs on the weekend, tallied the walk-off single in the Blue Devils’ 8-7 win against Kansas on Saturday.
- Duke has been one of the nation’s best at producing triples, as the Blue Devils own 10 on the year which is second in the ACC and their 0.50 triples per game average is tied for seventh in the nation. Jameson Kavel leads the team with three, which currently stands 11th nationally and second in the league.
- It’s been a solid start to the collegiate career of Deja Davis, as the rookie infielder owns a .294 average and leads the team with 20 hits and 12 stolen bases. She is currently four steals away from tying the single-season school record, set by Jameson Kavel last year.
- Securing the lead through the late innings has been key for Duke’s success this year. When leading after five the Blue Devils are 7-0, while standing 8-0 after six frames. In its two seasons, Duke is flawless when leading after six with a record of 31-0.
Duke Takes On Elon In Final Tune-Up Before ACC Play...
Wednesday’s meeting in Elon will be the final non-conference matchup for the Blue Devils before entering ACC play this weekend at home against in-state rival North Carolina. Duke will look to stay undefeated against Elon in the all-time series while also trying to improve to 3-0 versus teams from the state of North Carolina.
Team Two Against The Phoenix...
Duke owns a 1-0 advantage in the series, taking a 1-0 victory in Durham in the inaugural meeting between the two sides … This is the first meeting at Elon … Amelia Wiercioch tossed a career-high eight strikeouts and Kortney Dry hit her first-career home run in the winning effort … The Blue Devils are 2-1 all-time against opponents from the Colonial.
In the final non-conference tournament of the year, Blue Devil senior Reilly Metzger had a weekend to remember. The utility player recorded a scorching .455 average at the plate, going 5-for-11 with six runs batted in and zero strikeouts. Metzger was the catalyst on three crucial plays for Duke over the weekend. She drove in the game-tying run in the top of the seventh with two outs against Mississippi State via sac fly and then had an RBI groundout in the bottom of the seventh against Kansas to push the game to extras. Her weekend culminated with the walk-off single in the 7-6 win against the Jayhawks.
Go DJ, That’s My DJ...
It’s been a solid start to the career of Deja Davis, as the rookie infielder enters the week with a .294 clip and a team-high 20 hits and 12 stolen bases. Davis put together a 4-for-4 showing against NC Central two weeks ago, just the second four-hit performance in program history. She joined teammate Rachel Abboud, who went 4-for-4 against Boston College on March 17, 2018. After a two-hit and three-hit performance this past weekend, she leads Duke with five multi-hit showings this year.
Davis has also been a stud on the base paths for Duke, going 12-for-12 in stolen bases, including a pair of 3-for-3 showings to set and then tie the school single-game record. With our more steals, Davis will tie Jameson Kavel for the program record of 16 set last season.
Jameson Doubles Down...
It was a day of doubles for Jameson Kavel in Duke’s extra-innings win against Kansas. The sophomore outfielder went 3-for-3 at the plate and drove in two runs, with all three of her hits being for two bases. Her three doubles made her the first player in school history to record at least three in a game.
Got The Need, The Need For Speed...
The Blue Devils have been a terror on the base paths for opposing teams so far this year. Duke has 26 stolen bases, six more than where they stood through the first 20 games of last season. Those 26 are third in the ACC, while Duke’s 1.30 steals per game average is 81st nationally. Two weeks ago, the Blue Devils tallied six steals against NC Central, which set the program single-game record. That mark had been previously set the game before with five against Penn State on Feb. 17.
Late Lead = Major Key...
Holding the lead late is a major key to success for Marissa Young’s squad over the first two years of the program. This year, the Blue Devils are 7-0 when leading after five and 8-0 when taking the lead into the seventh. In their two years, Duke is 31-0 when leading after six innings.
On the flip side, Duke has struggled when trailing late, going 1-9 when down after five and 0-9 when losing through six. The Blue Devils are still seeking their first comeback win when entering the seventh down (0-28).
For more information on Duke softball, follow the Blue Devils on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram by searching for “DukeSoftball”. You can also find all-access coverage of all Duke athletic programs on SnapChat by searching for “dukeathletics”.