DURHAM, N.C.—The Major League Lacrosse regular season came to a close this past weekend, leaving four teams left to vie for the 2017 MLL Championship. A pair of former Blue Devils in Ned Crotty and Jordan Wolf head into the final weekend in hopes of raising the cup. Overall, a large selection of Duke players excelled in the league with many just missing a playoff spot.
Wolf Scores Winner to Clinch Playoff Spot
Wolf, Duke’s single-season points record holder, scored with less than two minutes remaining to put Rochester in front of the Ohio Machine 14-13 and ultimately clinch the final playoff spot. The goal was his third of the night as he finished with three goals and an assist in the victory. Crotty chipped in a pair of assists and a ground ball in the victory as the Rattlers avenged their earlier loss to the Machine. Rochester will take on the Denver Outlaws in the semifinal Aug. 12. It is the franchise’s eighth trip to the postseason.
Three Former Blue Devils Among Top 25 Scorers
Duke’s Myles Jones, Matt Danowski and Wolf all rank in the top 25 in points in the MLL. Wolf headlines the trio with 44 points (29g, 15a) in nine games (4.89/gm), while Jones compiled 39 (23g, 14a) to rank 18th. Danowski, playing in just 10 games , registered 35 points (20g, 13a) for 23rd in the league. Only rookie Josh Byrne had a higher points per game average than Wolf, scoring 46 points in nine games (5.11).
Jones Named MLL All-Star MVP
Jones, playing in his first MLL All-Star game, scored the game-winning goal 1:20 into overtime to lift Team Stripes to a 21-20 victory at Papa Murphy’s Park. Jones was awarded a $10,000 prize for winning the MVP honor. He led the squad with four goals and an assist for five points.
How Blue Devils Fared in MLL
Rochester Rattlers (8-6) – 3rd in Major League Lacrosse
• Jordan Wolf – 9 GP | 29G | 15A | 44 PTS | 20GB | 1 GWG
• Ned Crotty – 12 GP | 8G | 24A | 33 PTS | 21 GB
Chesapeake Bayhawks (7-7)
• Matt Danowski – 10 GP | 20G | 13A | 35 PTS | 12 GB | 1 GWG
• CJ Costabile – 13 GP | 9G | 3A | 12 PTS | 48 GB | 33-79 FO (.418) | 9 CT
• Myles Jones – 14 GP | 23G | 14A | 39 PTS | 14 GB
o MLL All-Star MVP
Charlotte Hounds (6-8)
• Brendan Fowler – 13 GP | 9G | 4A | 13 PTS | 76 GB | 156-328 FO (.478)
• Will Haus – 14 GP | 2G | 4A | 6 PTS | 45 GB | 12 CT
• Patrick Resch – 14 GP | 6 A | 9 GB | 4 CT
New York Lizards (7-7)
• David Lawson – 8 GP | 8G | 3A | 11 PTS | 5 GB
• Tommy Zenker – 2 GP | 1 GB
Boston Cannons (3-11)
• Justin Turri – 11 GP | 9G | 8A | 17 PTS | 12 GB
o Team Captain