No. 4 Duke vs. No. 17 Villanova
NCAA First Round
May 12 | 2:15 PM | ESPNU
Durham, N.C. | Koskinen Stadium
Setting the Scene
- Duke enters its 22nd NCAA Tournament as the No. 4 seed against Villanova.
- The Blue Devils are 13-3 overall and 8-1 at home in 2018
- Villanova is 10-5 overall and making its third appearance in the NCAA Tournament
The Series History
- Duke and Villanova are meeting for the 10th time overall and for the first time since 2006. The Blue Devils are 8-1 against the Wildcats with only two of the nine meetings occurring since 2000.
Tale of the Tape
|EMO||16-30 (.533)||21-49 (.429)|
|Man Down||36-49 (.735)||28-49 (.571)|
|Clears||260-294 (.884)||231-256 (.902)|
|Faceoff %||194-402 (.483)||165-372 (.444)|
By the Numbers
22 – NCAA appearances for the Blue Devils
8 – Tewaaraton Award finalists in Duke history after Justin Guterding earned the distinction
5 – Goals neeed by Justin Guterding to break Zack Greer’s NCAA record of 206
28 – NCAA Tournament wins for head coach John Danowski - third most among active coaches
40.2 – Shots per game average for Villanova in 2018
31.1 – Shots per game average for Duke’s opponents in 2018
96 – Points for Guterding in 2018, eight away from besting Jordan Wolf’s Duke record 103
4.14 – Brad Smith’s points per game average in the past seven games, up from 2.89 in the first nine
8.25 – Goals against average for the Blue Devils
10.73 – Goals per game for Villanova in 2018
NCAA Tournament Notes
- Duke is making its 22nd appearance in the NCAA Tournament and 12th straight. The Blue Devils are one of four schools to have an active streak of 10 consecutive appearances.
- The Blue Devils are 33-18 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. The 33 wins are fifth among Division I teams. Duke is 15-6 in first-round games.
- Duke is seeded fourth for the second time program history. The Blue Devils also were seeded fourth in 1999, losing to Georgetown in the opening round.
- Duke is 3-0 in overtime NCAA Tournament games and 2-0 under John Danowski.
- Duke has won 27 of its past 36 NCAA playoff games. Three of the losses came against Johns Hopkins in the 2005 and 2007 title games and the 2008 semifinals and two against Ohio State.
- Overall, the Blue Devils are 28-9 in NCAA action when scoring at least 10 goals and 1-9 when held to single digits.
Guterding Tewaaraton Award Finalist
- Justin Guterding was named one of five finalists for the 2018 Tewaaraton Award as announced by the Tewaaraton Award Foundation Thursday evening. Guterding is one of eight Blue Devils to earn the distinction and one of six under head coach John Danowski.
Looking At Duke
- Duke earned the No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament with a 13-3 overall record. Senior attackman Justin Guterding continues to shine on offense and headlines one of the nation’s top offenses with 56 goals and 40 assists for 96 points. Rookie Joe Robertson complements him on attack with 47 points. In the midfield, junior Brad Smith has a career-best 55 points and graduate student Peter Conley has chipped in 33.
- Defensively, Duke is holding opponents to 8.25 goals per game. Cade Van Raaphorst and JT Giles-Harris anchor the close defense with 18 and 20 caused turnovers, respectively. In goal, Danny Fowler sports a 8.14 goals against average and a .546 save percentage.
- Joe Stein and Brian Smyth share duties at the faceoff X. Stein is 96-of-171 (.561), while Smyth is 91-of-197 (.462). They have 39 and 44 ground balls, respectively.
- Villanova enters the NCAA Tournament with an at-large bid after finishing with a 10-5 overall record. The Wildcats fell to eventual BIG EAST Champion Georgetown, 13-10, in the tournament semifinal.
- Christian Cuccinello leads the offense with 55 points from 33 goals and 22 assists, while Keegan Khan has 43 (29g, 14a). Connor Kirst is the top midfield scorer with 24 goals and eight assists. Overall, Villanova is averaging 10.73 goals per game and shooting just .267.
- Defensively, the Wildcats are allowing 11.00 goals per game. Defensive midfielder TJ Comizio leads the team with 15 caused turnovers. All-BIG EAST second team pick Owen Prybylski is the top close defenseman and has nine caused turnovers and 21 ground balls. In goal, Michael Toomey has started the past three games and sports a 10.77 goals against average and a .447 save percentage.
- Dan Fisher has taken the majority of faceoffs for Villanova, but did not play in the BIG EAST semifinal. He is 129-of-272 (.474) on the year. In the previous game, Kirst (1-of-10) and Comizio (5-of-13) split duties at the X.
Guterding in the Record Books
- Justin Guterding became the third Blue Devil and 13th Division I player to amass 300 career points. He currently ranks second at Duke and sixth in NCAA history in career points with 334. He is nine points shy of moving into the top five in the NCAA records book. His 202 goals are second in NCAA history.
- At his current average of 3.5 goals per game this season, Guterding needs two more games to pass Zack Greer’s Duke and NCAA record 206 goals.
Justin Guterding in NCAA Records Book
- The winner of Saturday’s game will advance to the NCAA quarterfinal in Annapolis, Md., to play the winner between Johns Hopkins and Georgetown. The game will be Sunday, May 20 at 12 or 2:30 p.m., on ESPNU.