DURHAM, N.C. – Second-ranked Duke takes on two more ranked foes this weekend, traveling to Boston to face No. 9 Boston College and No. 22 Boston University. Sunday’s non-conference matchup with the Terriers will be streamed on the Patriot League Network. The Blue Devils enter the weekend winners of four straight contests.
No. 2 Duke at No. 9 Boston College
Friday, 4 p.m. l Field Hockey Complex - Newton, Mass. l Live Stats
• Duke is 11-7 all-time against the Eagles and 8-4 since Boston College joined the ACC in 2005.
• The Blue Devils have claimed four consecutive contests in the series, including a 6-2 meeting in Durham last September. A balanced offensive output saw Alyssa Chillano and Heather Morris notch two goals each in the win.
• Ranked ninth in this week’s Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I Coaches Poll, Boston College enters Friday night’s matchup at 7-3 following a 5-4, double overtime victory against Pacific Sunday.
• The Eagles will be in search of their first ACC win Friday night in Newton.
• The squad has been led offensively by Jaime Natale’s nine points (4g, 1a). Goalkeeper Sarah Dwyer owns a 1.84 goals against average and is second in the ACC with 35 saves.
• Back Alyssa Olenick is averaging 0.30 defensive saves per contest to lead the conference.
• Boston College head coach Kelly Doton was a member of the 2008 U.S. women’s senior national team that competed in the Beijing Olympics. Duke head coach Pam Bustin was an assistant coach on that team.
No. 2 Duke at No. 22 Boston University
Sunday, 1 p.m. l New Balance Field - Boston, Mass. l Patriot League Network l Live Stats
• The Blue Devils lead the all-time series with the Terriers, 11-2, and have won 11 straight meetings.
• A Heather Morris tally in the 69th minute of last year’s meeting lifted Duke to a 2-1 victory.
• Boston University sits at 5-4 heading into a Friday night Patriot League contest against Colgate. The Terriers were ranked 22nd in this week’s Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I Coaches Poll.
• Ailsa Connolly paces the squad in points (12) and goals (6) and was tabbed the Patriot League Rookie of the Week this week.
• Junior Kathleen Keegan (1.78 GAA) and freshman Millie Baker (2.00 GAA) have split time in goal for the Terriers.
• The Blue Devils are 18-5 historically against teams from the Patriot League. Duke has faced Boston University more than any other Patriot League team.
By the Numbers
6 - Victories for Duke against six non-conference opponents
.840 - The ACC’s winning percentage this season against non-conference foes, marking the best in the country
5 - Wins for the Blue Devils over ranked opponents
250 - Career coaching victories for head coach Pam Bustin
14 - Bustin’s rank in career wins among all active Division I head field hockey coaches
17.5 - Shots per game averaged by the Blue Devils this season
9.5 - Shots per game averaged by Duke’s opponents
5 - Shutouts registered by the Blue Devils to tie for second nationally
Devilish on Defense
• Stingy defense has guided the Blue Devils to four consecutive victories heading into this weekend’s action.
• The squad has notched five shutouts this season, including two in its last three outings. The program posted three straight shutouts to begin the year for the first time since 1991.
• Duke is tied for second nationally in shutouts per game (0.63) and ranks third in goals against average, holding opponents to less than one goal per game (0.75). Blue Devil opponents are averaging just 9.5 shots per contest.
• Redshirt sophomore Sammi Steele leads all ACC goalkeepers this week with a .813 save percentage. She also ranks second in the ACC and fifth nationally in goals against average (0.75).
• Four different Blue Devils - Alyssa Chillano, Alexa Mackintire, Stephanie Pezzuti and Jillian Wolgemuth - have recorded defensive saves on the year.
Team-Goals Against Average-Shutouts, Record
1) Syracuse-0.50-8, 8-2
2) UConn-0.65-4, 9-0
3) Duke-0.75-5, 7-1
4) Longwood-0.76-4, 8-1
4) VCU-0.76-2, 8-1
Bustin Reaches Coaching Milestone
• With a 3-0 shutout of Old Dominion Sunday, Sept. 24, Duke head coach Pam Bustin earned the 250th of her collegiate coaching career. She is 250-173 in her 21st season of coaching and 88-45 at the helm of the Duke program.
• The 250 career victories rank her 14th among all active Division I head coaches.
• Check out Blue Devil Network's video marking the milestone here.
Blue Devils Excelling vs. Non-Conference Foes
• Duke has posted an unblemished 6-0 mark against non-conference opponents so far this season. Four of those victories came against ranked teams.
• A strong combination of ACC and non-conference opponents has the Blue Devils at No. 2 in the latest NCAA RPI report. Eleven of the Blue Devils’ opponents this fall were listed among the top 20.
• Duke is also No. 5 in this week’s Strength of Schedule ratings according to FieldHockeyCorner.com.
Against Ranked Opponents
• The Blue Devils have gone 5-1 against ranked foes, with matchups against No. 9 Boston College and No. 22 Boston University on tap this weekend.
• Since 2013, the program has compiled a 45-26 ledger against ranked teams.
• Duke remained at No. 2 in this week’s Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I Coaches Poll and has been ranked among the top four all season.
• Thirteen of Duke’s 2017 opponents were listed in the latest Penn Monto/NFHCA Division I Coaches poll, including five opponents inside the top 10.
NFHCA Rank) Team, Record, NCAA RPI
1) UConn, 9-0, 1
2) Duke, 7-1, 2
3) Virginia, 9-1, 3
4) Penn State, 8-2, 7
5) North Carolina, 9-2, 9