Please fill out our walk-on questionnaire (Note: only fill out the GENERAL section):
Informational Meeting: Learn about the walk-on process and meet previous walk-on athletes.
Tuesday September 6 at 6 PM
Wednesday September 7 at 6 PM
Card Gym, Women’s Rowing Erg Room.
If unable to attend schedule a one on one with Coach Graham - call/text 304-834-4775 or email at email@example.com.
The tryout period will last 10 days and you will practice 1 time per day from 7-9 AM. During the tryout period you will do various workouts on land and water including: running, swimming, using an indoor rowing machine, and learning how to row.
If you are able to complete all workouts,show progression, and have what it takes to perform at the Division 1 level, you will make the team!
As part of the try-out you will undergo a Duke Physical at no cost to you.
Date and time of the physical - August 28 @ 3:15 PM or Sept 9 time TBD - We will all meet at Card Gym and travel to the physical together - IMPORTANT - Make sure to bring your insurance card or a copy to the physical.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need prior experience?
● No, we will teach you everything you need to know
Do I need to be able to swim?
● Yes, you need to be able to keep your head above water in the event your rowing shell capsizes
How much will it cost me to join team?
● Nothing! Duke Women’s Rowing is a fully funded program. The only cost you will incur is a $75 fee to process your NCAA Registration
What is the practice schedule?
● We row Monday through Saturday 7 AM to 9 AM
● The athletes are picked up by the team bus on campus (East and West) at 6:30 AM and returned by 9:30 AM
● There will be some PM sessions in October
Can I schedule my classes around practice? What if I have class during practice?
● Yes, in fact we recommend your earliest class be at 10:05 AM
● If you have to miss a practice due to class we are flexible
Where does Duke Row?
● The Duke Boathouse is located on Lake Michie which is about 14 miles north of campus
● The Duke team bus takes you to and from practice
What makes a good walk-on rower?
● Hard worker
● Great team player
● Wants to pursue varsity athletics at Duke
● Highly competitive and wants to win
● Has an athletic background
● Wants to be more than an average student
● Did we mention likes to win!?
What do I need to do in order to try-out?
● Provide a copy of your insurance card
● Get a Duke Physical arranged by Coach Graham
● Sickle Cell Blood Test - can and should be done this summer by your general practitioner
● Complete Medical Packet - sent to you by Duke trainer once you notify us of your intentions to join the team
How should I prepare for the try-out?
● Do what makes you athletic - keep running, swimming, biking
● Strength train, Cross-Fit
● Yoga & pilates
● Attend the Duke Rowing Camp
How soon will I be able to compete and will I miss a lot of class?
● By the end of the Fall Semester. Our plan will be to take the walk-ons to our last Fall Regatta in Mid-November.
● You will rarely miss class for rowing. Throughout the entire school year our athletes may miss a maximum of 4 class days.
How will rowing help my academics?
● Duke Rowers have high academic standards and the team averages just under a 3.5 GPA year round
● The student-athletes on our team have diverse academic interests ranging from engineering to pre-med
● The rowing schedule will provide more structure to your day which many rowers find helpful in keeping them on task
So why should I do this?
● K-Center access
● Athletic Academic Coordinator in addition to regular academic advisor
● Student Athlete Academic Committee
● Priority scheduling
● Be a part of a Division 1 ACC Program
● Compete against the Big10, Big12, ACC, Ivy, and Pac12
● Represent Duke on the highest level
● Train in the new Olympic Sport Training Center at Duke
● Partial and full athletic aid award may be earned
● Be on a team with international student-athletes
● Travel (winter/spring trips)
● Gear - Nike apparel for practice and competition
● Nutrition - Nightly dinner Sunday through Thursday with all Duke Athletes
● Be in the best shape of your life