Duke at No. 19 N.C. State
April 27-29, 2012
Raleigh, N.C. (Doak Field at Dail Park)
• Duke (16-26, 7-14 ACC) will face No. 19 N.C. State (27-12, 13-8 ACC) this weekend in a three-game series at Doak Field.
• The Blue Devils are 9-9 on the road this season.
• Duke is 124-145-1 all-time against N.C. State. The Blue Devils won two of three games against the Wolfpack in 2011.
• Duke is coming off a 1-0 week after defeating Charlotte 12-5 on Tuesday.
• Junior RHP Marcus Stroman leads all NCAA pitchers in strikeouts (102) and ranks fourth in strikeouts per nine innings (12.58).
• Sophomore catcher Mike Rosenfeld is hitting .442 over his current and career-long 14-game hitting streak.
• Sophomore third baseman Jordan Betts is hitting .351 over his current and season-long 10-game hitting streak.
By the Numbers
• Junior RHP Marcus Stroman leads all NCAA pitchers in strikeouts (102) and ranks fourth in the nation in strikeouts per nine innings (12.58).
• Marcus Stroman’s 256 career strikeouts rank seventh on the all-time strikeouts list at Duke.
• Marcus Stroman ranks second in the ACC in innings pitched (73.0), sixth in ERA (2.22) and sixth in opponent batting average (.217).
• Marcus Stroman’s career 3.32 ERA is the second-lowest in Duke history in the aluminum bat era (since 1974) and sixth-lowest all-time.
• Duke’s starting weekend rotation of Marcus Stroman, Trent Swart and Robert Huber owns a combined ERA of 3.53 in 30 starts. Those three have amassed 185 strikeouts (9.20 K/9) and a 2.31:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 181.0 innings.
• Stroman, Swart and Huber have pitched at least five innings in 24 of their 30 starts.
• Sophomore RHP Robert Huber threw his first career complete game in a 5-3 win over Maryland on April 15. Huber is one of seven ACC hurlers to have pitched a complete game this season and only the fourth to do so in a league game.
• In ACC play, Marcus Stroman has a 2.17 ERA, eighth-best in the league.
• Senior David Putman ranks fourth in the ACC with five saves.
• Freshman Andrew Istler ranks tied for sixth in the ACC with three saves.
• David Putman has three saves in ACC games, while Andrew Istler has two.
• Duke’s .968 fielding percentage is tied for sixth-best in the ACC.
• Duke senior CF Will Piwnica-Worms is the team’s active leader in 10 categories: hits (231), at bats (774), doubles (54), triples (15), home runs (15), RBI (131), runs (140), stolen bases (42), games played (207) and games started (204).
• Sophomore Mike Rosenfeld is hitting .394 in ACC games, which ranks as the highest in league play. Rosenfeld’s .425 on base percentage in ACC games ranks as the eighth-best, while his 15 RBI are tied for sixth-most.
• Mike Rosenfeld’s .333 overall average is the 16th-highest among ACC hitters.
• Freshman Andy Perez is batting .349 in ACC games, 10th-highest in the league.
• Freshman Andrew Istler is hitting .308 in league play, 21st-best in ACC games.
• Mike Rosenfeld has 26 hits in conference play, which ranks tied for sixth in the ACC.
• Jordan Betts ranks tied for third in the ACC and tied for sixth in the NCAA with 16 doubles. His 10 doubles in league play rank as the second-highest in the ACC.
• Duke ranks tied for 11th nationally in triples with 14. Seven different Blue Devils have tripled this season.
• Duke has four players hitting .300 or better with two outs on the board: Mike Rosenfeld (.395), Will Piwnica-Worms (.373), Andrew Istler (.333) and Jeff Kremer (.318).
• Duke has driven in 71 runs with two outs. Will Piwnica-Worms has 11 two-out RBI, while Angelo La Bruna and Mike Rosenfeld have 10 apiece.
• Duke’s freshman and sophomore position players have combined to start 289 games, equal to 76 percent of the team’s total starts. Senior Will Piwnica-Worms (37 starts) and juniors Jeff Kremer (39), Ryan Munger (10) and Marcus Stroman (3) are the only upperclassmen to have started a game.
• Sophomore Jordan Betts has started 98-of-98 games in his career.
• Jordan Betts has doubled in 7 of his last 10 games.
• Duke has 12 home runs through its first 42 games. The Blue Devils had 10 homers all last season.
BDN+ Access users
returning customers, please login here.