Presbyterian at Duke
Postgame Notes l November 17, 2012
With the Duke Victory…
• Won its ninth consecutive season opener and 13th straight home opener.
• Moved to 30-8 all-time in season openers.
• Head coach Joanne P. McCallie remained undefeated at 6-0 in home openers since taking over the Duke program in 2007-08.
• Picked up the program’s 55th-straight win over unranked, non-conference at home while improving to 32-2 against non-conference opponents at Cameron Indoor Stadium dating back to the 2008-09 campaign.
• Took a 1-0 advantage in the series after facing Presbyterian for the first time in program history.
• Improved to 23-5 all-time against teams from the Big South Conference.
Junior Haley Peters
• Finished with 21 points, four rebounds, two steals and an assist
• Notched her first 20-point scoring game of the season and the third of her career
• Also registered double-digit scoring for the 30th time in her career
• Extended her streak of consecutive free throws made to eight dating back to the 2011-12 season
Junior Tricia Liston
• Recorded 21 points, a team-high nine rebounds, five steals and four assists
• Topped the 20-point mark for the first time this season and the eighth time in her career
• Tallied her fifth career game with five or more three-pointers, going 4-for-6 on the night from behind the arc
• Extended her streak of consecutive games with at least one trey to eight, dating back to the 2011-12 season
• The four assists matched a career-high
• Led Duke in rebounding for the fifth time in her career with nine boards on the night
• Converted her first three-point play of the season to extend Duke’s lead to 52-23 early in the second half
• Extended her streak of consecutive free throws made to 11 dating back to the 2011-12 campaign after going 5-for-5 at the charity stripe
Senior Allison Vernerey
• Collected eight points, two rebounds, five assists, five steals and two blocks in 23 minutes of action
• Set new career-highs with five steals and five assists
• Also matched a career-best with a 4-for-4 (1.000) shooting performance from the field
Freshman Alexis Jones
• Became the third freshman to start her first collegiate game under head coach Joanne P. McCallie, joining current teammates Chloe Wells and Elizabeth Williams. Also became the 24th Duke freshman to start her first collegiate contest.
• Recorded the first points of her Duke career with a pair of free throws at 17:24 in the first half
• Totaled eight points, three rebounds, six assists and a steal in her Duke debut
Junior Chelsea Gray
• Posted 12 points, two rebounds, six assists and a team-high six steals
• Registered double-figure scoring for the 44th time in her career
• Extended her streak of consecutive free throws made to a team-best 21, dating back to the 2011-12 season
Sophomore Elizabeth Williams
• Came off the bench to collect eight points, five rebounds, one block and one steal
• Drew her first charge of the 2012-13 campaign at the 12:27 mark in the second half
Freshman Sierra Moore
• Entered the game at the 14:15 mark in the first half for the first minutes of her collegiate career
• Finished the night with six points on 3-for-4 shooting from the field
• Also tallied three rebounds, two steals and one assist in her Duke debut
Sophomore Ka’lia Johnson
• Contributed five rebounds – including three on the defensive end – in 23 minutes of action
• Set a new career high with five rebounds
Sophomore Jenna Frush
• Entered the game with 3:38 remaining in the second half, registering one shot attempt from three-point range
Other Duke Notes…
• The junior class combined for 54 of Duke’s 84 total points, as well as 15 rebounds, 11 assists and 13 steals
• As a team, nabbed 23 steals and dished 23 assists on the night
• Also scored 32 points off of turnovers
• Finished with a 52.3 (34-65) shooting percentage from the floor and a 76.9 (10-13) percentage at the free throw line
• Outrebounded Presbyterian, 35-21
• Went 6-for-13 (46.2 percent) from three-point range
• Duke will next host Iona on Sunday, Nov. 18 at 2:00 p.m.
Duke Inside Access users
returning customers, please login here.