Date/Time: Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012 • 7:00 PM
Location/Venue: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Crisler Center, 12,721)
Where to Watch: www.mgoblue.com
Radio: WDNC-AM 620 (Steve Barnes, Morgan Patrick)
Live Stats: www.GoDuke.com
Series Record: Duke leads 3-0
Last Meeting: Dec. 7, 2008 (Duke 60, Michigan 45)
Ranking: #4 (AP), #4 (USA Today)
Head Coach: Joanne P. McCallie (21st Year)
Record at Duke: 145-32 (6th Year)
ACC Record: 80-14 (6th Year)
Overall Record: 461-180 (21st Year)
vs. Michigan 10-2 (won 10 straight)
Head Coach: Kim Barnes Arico (1st Year)
Record at Michigan: 0-0 (1st Year)
Overall Record: 270-205 (17th Year)
Setting the Scene...
The fourth-ranked Duke women's basketball team (4-0) will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to take on Michigan (5-1) on Wednesday, Nov. 28 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday's contest will be played in the Crisler Center and will be broadcast live on www.mgoblue.com.
The game will be aired live on the WDNC AM 620 with Steve Barnes (PXP) and Morgan Patrick (Color) calling the action.
Following the game on Wednesday, Duke will return home to host 10th-ranked California on Sunday, Dec. 2 at 2:00 p.m., in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Two of the top three-point shooting teams in the nation will hit the court on Wednesday as Duke ranks first (48.8) and Michigan is ninth (41.8).
• The Blue Devils will face Kim Barnes Arico for the second straight year as Duke defeated the first year Michigan coach in the NCAA Sweet 16 last year, 74-47, when she was the head coach at St. John’s.
• Duke hit a season-high 59.0 percent of its field goals at Xavier on Sunday.
• The Blue Devils have had five different players lead them in scoring in each of Duke’s first four games.
• Over the last two games, Elizabeth Williams has hit 15-of-20 field goals for a 75.0 percentage.
• Tricia Liston needs only six more three-pointers to reach 100 for her career. She has hit at least one three-pointer in 11 straight games, which is the longest streak since Jasmine Thomas did it in 2011-12.
• The Blue Devils are averaging 25.3 points off the bench this season.
• Freshman Alexis Jones pulled down a career high nine rebounds against Valparaiso.
• Tricia Liston snapped a string of eight straight double-figure scoring games at Xavier on Sunday as she finished with seven points.
• Four of Duke’s five starters have hit all 21 of their three-point field goals made this season with Liston leading (9).
• The Blue Devils have won 57 straight home contests against unranked non-conference opponents.
• Duke held Iona to 31 points, which marks the 18th time under Coach P the Blue Devils have held an opponent to under 40 points.
• Duke opened the season with three straight home games for the first time since the 2006-07 season.
• The 84 points in the season opener was the second-most by a Blue Devil team under Coach P in the opening contest of the season (second to 104 against Houston Baptist on Nov. 13, 2009).
• Duke owns a 34-2 record against non-conference opponents at home in Cameron Indoor Stadium since the 2008-09 campaign.
• The Blue Devils have notched a 24-3 record in the month of November the last four years. Duke has won 26 straight home games in the month of November with the last loss coming to South Carolina on Nov. 25, 2001 (87-81, OT).
• Follow @Duke_WBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women's basketball. Also, "Like" Duke Women's Basketball on Facebook to get the latest video, pictures and more. Join both now as they are free! You can win free prizes each week on both Twitter and Facebook, so make sure you follow closely.
A Look at Michigan...
The Wolverines enter Wednesday's matchup with an overall record of 5-1 after defeating Boston University, 67-58 on Nov. 24. Michigan is currently undefeated at home this season with wins over Detroit, Seton Hall, Harvard and Boston University.
Rachel Sheffer (16.0 points, 7.0 rebounds), Kate Thompson (15.3 points, 5.5 rebounds) and Jenny Ryan (12.8 points, 4.5 rebounds) have led the way in scoring for Michigan this year.
Head coach Kim Barnes Arico enters her first season as head coach of the Wolverines after spending 10 years at the helm of St. John's. Last season, Barnes Arico led the Red Storm to a 24-10 overall record, and a 13-3 mark in the Big East Conference. She guided St. John's to four NCAA Tournament appearances, with the Red Storm advancing to the Sweet 16 in 2012 after back-to-back second-round appearances (2010, '11)
Duke Versus the Big Ten...
Duke holds a record of 19-9 all-time against Big Ten Teams -- Illinois (0-3), Iowa (1-0), Michigan (3-0), Michigan State (2-1), Minnesota (0-1), Ohio State (1-0), Penn State (5-1), Purdue (5-3) and Wisconsin (2-0).
The last meeting between Duke and a Big Ten member came on Dec. 2, 2010 when the No. 5 Blue Devils edged Wisconsin in Madison, Wisc.
McCallie owns an 82-56 record all-time against Big Ten members after coaching Michigan State for seven seasons.
Jones Named ACC Rookie of the Week...
Duke freshman Alexis Jones was named the ACC Rookie of the Week on Monday after helping lead the fourth-ranked Blue Devils to a pair of victories this past week versus Valparaiso and at Xavier.
Jones, a product of Midland, Texas, averaged 10.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.0 steals in the two contests. In her first collegiate road game, Jones tallied a career-high 14 points, five assists, four rebounds and two steals in 34 minutes at Xavier. She hit 6-of-10 field goals and 2-of-2 from downtown, while her two three-pointers made were a career high.
In the contest against Valparaiso, Jones had seven points, a career-high nine rebounds, four assists and four steals. For the week, she hit 3-of-4 from downtown.
On the season, Jones is averaging 9.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.0 steals.
ACC/Big Ten Challenge...
Duke enters the 2012 Big Ten/ACC Challenge with a 4-1 record in the yearly event and is coming off victories over Purdue (64-53) in 2011, Wisconsin (59-51) in 2010, third-ranked Ohio State, 83-67, in 2009 and a 71-47 win over Iowa in 2008. The Blue Devils fell, 86-84, at Penn State in 2007.
The ACC has won four of the five previous Challenge titles. In 2011, the two conferences tied with a 6-6 ledger. The inaugural Challenge in 2007 saw the
ACC collect its all-time highest eight victories.
Year-by-year results of the challenge --
2011 - ACC 6, Big Ten 6
2010 - ACC 6, Big Ten 5
2009 - ACC 7, Big Ten 4
2008 - ACC 7, Big Ten 4
2007 - ACC 8, Big Ten 3
2012 CHALLENGE SCHEDULE
Wednesday, November 28
Ohio State at North Carolina
Iowa at Florida State
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech
Duke at Michigan
Maryland at Nebraska
Georgia Tech at Purdue
Clemson at Indiana
Northwestern at Boston College
Thursday, November 29
Penn State at Miami
Michigan State at NC State
Virginia at Minnesota
Wake Forest at Illinois
Impressive First Four Games...
Over the first four games of the 2012-13 campaign, the Blue Devils have averaged 89.0 points, hit 51.6 percent of their field goals and outrebounded opponents by a 16.3 margin.
Duke has hit 48.8 percent of its three-point field goals, while averaging 22.3 assists, 15.8 steals and 7.5 blocks.
The opponents are averaging only 45.0 points and hitting 29.2 percent of their field goals.
Gray Registers Double-Double...
Chelsea Gray collected her first career contest with over 20-points and 10-assists at Xavier as she notched 22 points and 10 assists. It marked her fourth career double-double and the fifth time at Duke she has notched 10 or more assists in a game.
Gray also collected six rebounds in 34 minutes, while hitting 9-of-16 field goals at Xavier.
She is coming off a week where she averaged 16.5 points, 8.0 assists, 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals. Gray has 30 assists to only four turnovers this season.
In the NCAA Stats...
The first NCAA stats have been released with Chelsea Gray rankings in assists (4th, 7.5), free throw percentage (1st, 100.0) and assist/turnover ratio (1st, 7.5).
Allison Vernerey (3.5) and Elizabeth Williams (3.3) rank 10th and 11th, respectively, in blocked shots. Williams also ranks 11th in field goal percentage (65.8).
As a team, Duke ranks first in three-point field goal percentage (48.8), second in scoring margin (44.0), third in scoring offense (89.0), fifth in scoring defense (45.0), fourth in field goal percentage (51.6), fifth in field goal percentage defense (29.2), 13th in free throw percentage (79.1), fourth in rebound margin (16.3), second in assists (22.3), third in blocks (7.5), fourth in steals (15.8) and second in assist/turnover ratio (1.56).
Liston Leading Duke in Rebounding...
Through the first four games of the season, junior guard Tricia Liston is leading the Blue Devils with a 9.0 rebounds per game average.
The River Forest, Ill., product is hitting 50.0 percent (9-of-18) from downtown, while averaging 14.3 points and 3.0 assists.
Liston notched her second career double-double against Valparaiso with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
From the Charity Stripe... With her 4-of-4 free throws made at Xavier, junior Chelsea Gray continued her school-record streak of consecutive free throws made to 37.
On the season, Gray has hit all 17 of her attempts. She broke the previous record of 32 held by Nicole Erickson, which was from Jan. 22, 1999 through March 20, 1999.
The NCAA record is 70 by Lauren Prochaska of Bowling Green (Nov. 15-Dec. 21, 2010).
BDN+ Access users
returning customers, please login here.