Date/Time:...................Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Location/Venue:..............Clemson, S.C. (Littlejohn Coliseum - 10,000)
Where to Watch:..............ESPN3
Radio:.......................Blue Devil IMG - WDNC-AM 620 (Steve Barnes, Morgan Patrick)
Series Record:...............Duke leads 35-32 (Duke won 16 straight)
Last Meeting:................Jan. 10, 2013 - Duke 82-45
Record:......................16-1, 6-0 (ACC)
Ranking:.....................#4 (AP), #5 (USA Today)
Head Coach:..................Joanne P. McCallie (21st Year)
Record at Duke:......157-33 (6th Year)
ACC Record:..........85-14 (6th Year)
Overall Record:......473-181 (21st Year)
Record:......................5-12, 1-5 (ACC)
Ranking:.....................NR (AP), NR (USA Today)
Head Coach:..................Itoro Coleman (3rd Year)
Record at Clemson:...........21-54 (3rd Year)
Setting the Scene...
Coming off its first loss of the season, the fourth-ranked Duke women’s basketball team (16-1, 6-0 ACC) will travel to Clemson, S.C., to face Clemson on Thursday, Jan. 24 at 7:00 p.m. The contest will be played in Littlejohn Coliseum at 7:00 p.m., and aired live on ESPN3.
The game will be aired live on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network on WDNC AM 620 with Steve Barnes (PXP) and Morgan Patrick (Color) on the air. The audio is also available live at www.GoDuke.com.
Duke will be playing its second game in four days. The Blue Devils have three contests in seven days this week. Duke will close the week with a home contest against Boston College at 1:00 p.m., which will mark the annual reunion weekend in which the program will honor the 2003 ACC Championship and NCAA Final Four squad.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Duke has won 26 consecutive games on the road against unranked opponents.
• Over the last two years, Duke is 18-0 when Chelsea Gray dishes seven or more assists. The Blue Devils are also 5-5 when Gray attempts 14 or more field goals.
• Elizabeth Williams has blocked at least one shot in every collegiate game she has played - 50 straight. The streak is the second-best in school history behind Alison Bales’ 55 in 2003-05. Dating back to high school, Williams has blocked a shot in 68 straight games as she closed her H.S. career with blocks in 19 consecutive contests.
• Duke averaged 18.5 assists over the first 15 games of the season, but has dished only 19 dimes over the last two games to bring the average down to 17.5.
• In the month of January over the last four years, the Blue Devils have posted a 27-4 record with all four losses coming at the hands of Connecticut.
• Elizabeth Williams has notched double-figure scoring against 19 consecutive ACC opponents.
• Chelsea Gray leads Duke with 12 charges taken on the season. Gray has 29 for her career. She has moved into seventh place on Duke’s all-time charges taken list. • Elizabeth Williams leads the league with a 67.7 field goal percentage in ACC games only.
• Chelsea Gray moved into ninth place on Duke’s all-time steals chart with 218 steals. Gray needs five steals to move into a tie for eighth on the list.
• Against Virginia Tech, Alexis Jones notched a career-high six steals, while Chelsea Gray matched a career high with seven swipes. The six steals by Jones is tied for the seventh-most in a single game by a Duke freshman.
• Duke is averaging 77.2 points this season, which is the most for a Blue Devil squad since 2005-06 with an 86.0 ledger. The most for a Coach P squad in her previous five years was 75.2 in 2008-09.
• After holding Virginia Tech to a school-record low 26 points on Jan. 16, head coach Joanne P. McCallie has held 22 different opponents to under 40 points since arriving at Duke in 2007-08.
• The Blue Devils registered a 3.3 grade-point average in the fall semester, which included five student-athletes with above a 3.5 GPA. A total of 11 Blue Devils had a 3.0 or better.
• Following Richa Jackson’s 16-point effort at Boston College, Duke now features 10 Blue Devils who have posted double-figure scoring at least one time this season, which leads the ACC.
• Duke has hit 50.0 percent or better from the field in six different games.
• The Blue Devils own five different student-athletes hitting over 40.0 percent or better from downtown -- Tricia Liston (46.4), Chelsea Gray (44.8), Haley Peters (48.3), Alexis Jones (41.7) and Chloe Wells (52.6).
• Tricia Liston had her streak of 18 straight games with at least one three-pointer come to an end at N.C. State on Jan. 3. It was the longest streak since Georgia Schweitzer hit 25 straight treys in 2000-01.
• In dissecting the top shot blockers in the nation, Elizabeth Williams is the only underclassman to rank in the top eight in the country.
• Follow @Duke_WBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women's basketball. Also, "Like" Duke Women's Basketball on Facebook to get the latest video, pictures and more. Join both now as they are free! You can win free prizes each week on both Twitter and Facebook, so make sure you follow closely.
A Look at Clemson...
Clemson enters Thursday’s matchup with an overall record of 5-12 after topping Wake Forest on Jan. 17 by a 74-64 ledger. The win was the Lady Tiger’s first ACC league victory (1-5) and also halted a five-game losing streak for the Tigers. Clemson and Duke have met once already this season on Jan. 10 in which the No. 4 Blue Devils cruised to an 82-45 win.
Nikki Dixon (14.3 points, 4.4 rebounds), Quinyotta Pettaway (9.8 points, 9.7 rebounds) and Aisha Turner (6.6 points, 2.4 rebounds) lead the way for the Lady Tigers this season.
Head coach Itoro Coleman is in her third season at the helm of the program, tallying a 21-54 record. Coleman, a 2000 graduate of Clemson, returned to coach her alma mater after serving as an assistant coach at Penn State for three years.
The Series with Clemson...
Duke and Clemson will meet for the 68th time in school history with Duke holding a slight advantage in the series, 35-32. The Blue Devils have won 18 of the last 19 games against the Tigers dating back to the 1999-2000 season.
Duke has won the past 16 games in a row against Clemson by a combined 507 points (31.7 a game). The Lady Tigers have tallied a 13-17 all-time record when playing at Littlejohn Coliseum. The Lady Tigers last defeated Duke on Dec. 9, 2000 at Clemson, 93-75. Blue Devil head coach Joanne P. McCallie will face Clemson for the seventh time in her 21 years as a coach and owns a 6-0 record. All meetings have come since Coach P has arrived at Duke.
Coming Off a Loss...
Dating back the last four years, the Blue Devils have responded to a loss by winning 18 straight contests by an average margin of 28.6 points.
The closest margin of victory was by two points and two have been by 50 or more points.
Blue Devils Versus Clemson...
In three career games against the Lady Tigers, Tricia Liston has averaged 18.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.7 steals. She has hit 8-of-18 treys for a 44.4 percentage. Over the last two contests, Liston has averaged 21.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals. She has drained 6-of-11 treys over that span.
Chloe Wells has averaged 12.5 points, 4.0 steals, 1.5 assists and 1.5 rebounds in two contests against Clemson. She has hit each of her three treys and connected on 8-of-10 field goals (80.0%). Elizabeth Williams has swatted nine shots and averaged 17.5 points in two games versus the Lady Tigers.
Season Lows/Highs Allowed at UConn...
The Blue Devils had several season lows at UConn on Monday night -- points (49), steals (5), field goals made (20), free throws made (4), rebounds (25), and blocks (2).
Duke allowed season highs of points (79), field goal percentage (50.0%), field goals (29), rebounds (44) and assists (20).
The Blue Devils had a solid first half only trailing by two points, 32-30, but scored only 19 second half points and was outscored 47-19.
Duke hit 8-of-22 field goals in the second half and allowed UConn to hit 50.0 percent of its field goals. After forcing 12 UConn turnovers in the first half and committing only three turnovers, Duke suffered 12 turnovers in the second half and the Huskies had three. Gray Struggling From Field...
After opening the season with a team-high 15.2 scoring average, Chelsea Gray has struggled over the last four games averaging 7.3 points and hitting only 39.4 percent from the field. She has score double-figures once over the last four contests.
She is coming off scoring a season-low two points at Connecticut, which was the lowest point total since her freshman year. Gray hit 1-of-6 field goals at UConn.
Williams Hitting Her Stride...
Sophomore Elizabeth Williams is feeling much better and her play is showing on the court. Over the last four games, she is averaging 17.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 1.0 steals.
Williams has hit 56.9 percent of her field goals during this stretch. She owns a team-high four games with 20 or more points.
On the Road...
The Blue Devils are currently 6-1 on the season in road games and have won by an average of 14.4 a game, but Duke is coming off a 30-point loss at third-ranked Connecticut.
As a team, Duke is hitting 48.5 percent from the field and 49.4 percent from downtown on the road.
Freshman Alexis Jones is averaging 11.0 points, 4.3 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while hitting 50.0 percent from the field and 50.0 percent from behind the arc.
Jones is coming off tying a career high at Connecticut with 14 points. She scored 12 of her 14 points in the first half, while also totaling five rebounds and four assists in a career-high 35 minutes.
Coach P Against the ACC...
Since taking over the head coaching position at Duke in 2007-08, Joanne P. McCallie has notched undefeated marks against the following ACC schools -- Clemson (6-0), Georgia Tech (8-0), Miami (5-0), Virginia (6-0), Virginia Tech (11-0) and Wake Forest (8-0).
McCallie has notched an overall 67-12 mark versus ACC teams in her six years.
Next Coach P Radio Show on Jan. 28...
The fourth Coach P Radio Show will air Monday, Jan. 28 from 6:00-7:00 p.m., at NOSH. Fans are encouraged to get to NOSH early as it is expected to fill up quickly.
Earlier this summer, NOSH signed a three-year contract to host the Coach P Radio Show. Morgan Patrick will host the show once again along with Coach P.
For those who are located out of town, the Coach P Radio Show will be aired live on www.GoDuke.com as well.
Greenwell Sets Record...
Duke signee Rebecca Greenwell notched a national women’s record on Monday, Jan. 14 as she drained 17 three-pointers in a 99-35 win over Whitesville Trinity High. Greenwell, who plays for Owensboro Catholic High, hit 17-of-28 three-pointers and finished with 51 points. She also added nine rebounds, four assists and two steals.
Undefeated in League Play...
Duke is now 6-0 in ACC action for the fifth straight year. The Blue Devils have notched undefeated 16-0 records in ACC play in 2001-02 and 2002-03, while notching an undefeated 14-0 mark in 2006-07. Other top starts were in 13-0 (1998-99), 8-0 (2003-04 & 2011-12), 7-0 (2005-06 & 2010-11) and 6-0 (2009-10).
Best ACC Starts in League History
16-0 - Duke (2002-03, 2001-02), Virginia (1994-95)
14-0 - UNC (2007-08), Duke (2006-07), UVA (1990-91)
13-0 - Duke (1998-99, 2011-12), UNC (1996-97)
10-0 - Maryland (1991-92)
9-0 - UNC (2005-06), UVA (1986-87), NCSU (1979-80, 1977-78)
8-0 - UNC (2006-07), Duke (2003-04), UVA (1985-86)
BDN+ Access users
returning customers, please login here.